• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

OskPug

Hi there,

just bought a '92 205 xl 1.6 auto (the later assembly XU). Is there any way of checking the timing for a new cam belt? there has been no belt on the engine for a while now and just want to check before I go putting on a new belt that the timing is correct. Can't seem to find any other info online about how to do this. This is all new to me and it's an absolute mindf*ck to get my head around! 

any help is much appreciated 

P.s if anyone has any info thats worth knowing about this model of 205, let me know. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there about the 1.6 xl auto 

Tom Fenton

Pin in the crank pulley and one in the cam pulley, it’s a very straightforward engine to put a timing belt on. Haynes manual covers it with photos.

OskPug

Thanks for the reply! Is this still the case even if the 2 pulleys have moved independently from each other? Surely I would need to check everything is aligned at TDC? Just checking I have this right, completely new to this! 

Ozymandis

As Tom says,

the crankshaft is locked in the correct posistion by a metal pin inserted in a hole in the crank pulley and the camshaft is locked in the correct relative posistion by a similar metal pin inserted in the cam pulley.

Get a Haynes manual off fleabay, get the older manual with a black and white illustration cover rather than the newer coloured illustration.

These pins arent complex tools, just whatever bits of round metal you can jam in eg drils/bolts/rods etc.

http://405t16.free.fr/doctecfree/docs UK/Chapter_02b_405XU_engines(incl.MI16).pdf

Look at 2B section 3   in this pdf.

Edited by Ozymandis
Factual error being corrected

welshpug

xu engines do not pin at tdc, its mid-stroke, make sure you do not rotate a full turn on the crank to get it pinned as you risk bending valves.

pin the crank first, rotate the cam till it pins.

Ozymandis
2 minutes ago, welshpug said:

xu engines do not pin at tdc, its mid-stroke, make sure you do not rotate a full turn on the crank to get it pinned as you risk bending valves.

pin the crank first, rotate the cam till it pins.

Your absolutely right, that is what I meant, despite talking bollox, its the wine.