• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

wladimir031

Xsara VTS rack ph1

wladimir031

I have xsara ph1 vts steering rack ... my 205 gti is non pas ...  What do i need to instal VTS rack ? tnx

dcc

Different lower column and shorter uj

Remove the ram or fit with pas 

petert

VTS rack without PAS = muscles

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

barneys66

Plus 205 track rod ends.  I used an EPAS pump from a 106/Saxo, the one with the integral reservoir.  There is another variety fitted to same with a remote reservoir, depending on where you mount.

A local hydraulics place made my up the high pressure hose, which fitted to the original pipe ends using compression fittings - made for a very simple install.

Battery relocated to boot, original Saxo relay loom was simple to connect and a cooling loop will be spliced into low-pressure side in the not-too-distant future.

Rack with new TREs on the left, lower column UJ on the right:

36863938306_78911b0edd_b.jpg

Custom HP hose:

37051887415_75ceb32fd8_b.jpg

Pump mounted on battery tray:

36217204744_aeedcd12bb_z.jpg

dcc

I found putting the pump on the battery tray was a bit of a bodge, mostly due to losing the boot space due to battery reloation.

I am 99% certain thay 205 and xsara (inc 306 etc...) share the same track rod ends, it is actually the track control arms which are longer. If you have a gti6 lump then you can utilise the pas pump from the xu10 motor, if you have any engine actually, fitted as standard with PAS it may prove easier to just use the standard pas set up. Personaly preferrence here really

Anthony
14 minutes ago, dcc said:

I am 99% certain thay 205 and xsara (inc 306 etc...) share the same track rod ends, it is actually the track control arms which are longer

Correct.  TRE's the same, track rods themselves are different.

I'd also agree with Dan that easiest to use the standard fit PAS if you can source the bits easily in your country.  Being a Ph1 rack, it uses the same fittings as a 205 PAS rack and hence you can use the pipework, pump etc as per a standard car.

If the parts are hard to source, converting to e-PAS is an option as the pumps are ten a penny in scrap 106/Saxo's.  You can just about squeeze the pump below the expansion tank and retain the battery on RHD models but presumably it'll be battery tray mount only on a LHD car.

welshpug

for a road car on road tyres I dont find 2.4t manual bad at all, especially with a tiny bit extra camber of 309 wishbones.

hacking around a circuit or hillclimb, or rally stage on slicks is likely a bit tougher on the arms however!

I'm only 183cm and 68kg so not like I'm big either ;)

• Sad 1

Daxed

Is that your arms or all of you? When did Wales go all metric on body stats? 

petert
14 hours ago, welshpug said:

for a road car on road tyres I dont find 2.4t manual bad at all, especially with a tiny bit extra camber of 309 wishbones.

hacking around a circuit or hillclimb, or rally stage on slicks is likely a bit tougher on the arms however!

I'm only 183cm and 68kg so not like I'm big either ;)

I'm surprised, if you're a cyclist with T Rex type arms. I find it near impossible with 4 degs of camber and 8" tyres.

wladimir031
On 7/26/2018 at 10:04 PM, dcc said:

Different lower column and shorter uj

Remove the ram or fit with pas 

does lower column from 306 gti6 fit ?

welshpug
12 hours ago, Daxed said:

Is that your arms or all of you? When did Wales go all metric on body stats? 

I thought it only polite to use metric when talking to fellow europeans :P

Tom Fenton

I personally didn't like my 2.4 rack without the PAS, its a personal thing I suppose.

You can sort the lower column using the xsara or 306 lower part of the UJ and the top half of the 205 square type lower column. They use the same spider and bearings. Put both next to each other and its clear what you need to do.

barneys66
On 7/27/2018 at 1:43 PM, dcc said:

I found putting the pump on the battery tray was a bit of a bodge, mostly due to losing the boot space due to battery relocation.

Boot space not really a consideration when you don't technically have one, so I was happy with my bodge :P

36910701481_5a9fff15c4_b.jpg

Still plenty of room for the essentials..

36655079050_b5ed5dc59d_b.jpg