• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

rbdemen

rear ended today : (

rbdemen

US drivers are the worst.  Got rear ended today while stopped at a stop sign by a pick up truck.  Little old lady said she mashed the accelerator when trying to hit the brake!  Was able to drive the 2 miles home afterall but here are pics of the damage.  Needless to say, I'm gutted.  But hopeful that it can be fixed to near factory condition by bodyshop professionals.  What do you think?  fixable?  Mostly I'm worried that the shop won't know how to deal with a car where there's only a handful of others in the country.  Anybody got a lead on a good graphite gray rear hatch?  Any advice or kind words welcome.  Thank you from across the pond.

IMG_5552.JPG

IMG_5553.JPG

IMG_5551.JPG

• Sad 2

Fallowsnz

ah i'm so gutted for you mate.. i just watched my land rover discovery 2 be towed away today after rolling it last week, so kinda no the feeling but not really. pretty much sure i'd be shedding a tear if it had been one of my 205's. 

• Sad 1

Ozymandis

Did it drive in a straight line?  I had a similar "do" and it moved the rear axle mountings and made it pull to the right.

rbdemen
3 minutes ago, Ozymandis said:

Did it drive in a straight line?  I had a similar "do" and it moved the rear axle mountings and made it pull to the right.

Yes, after removing the wire spare tire holder dragging underneath the boot, I was able to drive approx. 2 miles home without trouble.  In that trip I stopped at 2 traffic lights and made a couple of left and right turns before backing it into my own garage.  As far as I can tell, it drives straight and steers normally.  I did not get it to highway speeds though.  (Thinking about adding a rear beam refurb job to the task while it's laid up anyhow)

Gaz205

I'm sure there is a graphite hatch for sale on here? Logistically may be expensive though 

welshpug

check the boot floor under the carpet, also look at the 1/4 panels.

jackherer

If the rear glass is OK a bare hatch is surprisingly light so you might be able to ship a hatch, bumper and valance together for a reasonable cost. However that looks like quite a big impact.

farmer

I have a lot of back end panels and tailgate new old stock

I would give it a bash shipping 

• Like 1

rbdemen
41 minutes ago, farmer said:

I have a lot of back end panels and tailgate new old stock

I would give it a bash shipping 

THANK YOU FARMER!  I've seen your name loads on here, always helping someone out : )  If you can look into the shipping for me, you'd be doing me a great service.  I am located in Grovetown, Georgia 30813 USA.  Let me know if you need any other info from me. 

farmer

I will message you now and see what you want to do

rbdemen

insurance adjuster coming today after work.  i'm nervous!

barneys66
1 hour ago, rbdemen said:

insurance adjuster coming today after work.  i'm nervous!

Fingers crossed for you - horrible to see.

Glad you're okay though.

rbdemen

So the insurance adjuster came and spent at least an hour and a half with me.  I couldn't have asked for a better more competent guy.  Turns out he's an old school bodyman and actually worked some years for the local Peugeot dealer in the late 80s before they closed up shop in the US.  Said aside from the accident affected area, condition was excellent.  However, his trained eye was able to spot the slight  buckle going across the boot floor where the cross beam lays underneath.  Says probably the left rail was affected too, despite the fact it drives straight.  Also, tiny deflection in the roof where the left hinge pushed up.  Still, he says it's fixable.  He was terribly impressed that I had a .pdf copy of the 205 collision repair manual.  Said it would be a big help to him for estimating labor cost.  Will be a few days til I hear from the insurance company on their determination.  Staying positive! 

Leslie green

Sorry to hear that , it looks quite bad in the pics and I suspect the damage underneath will be worse and the axle will have been pushed forward a bit .I don't think it will be cost effective to fix and you might be better taking the money buying the salvage back and looking for another Gti.

jackherer

What is the market value of a 205 GTI there?

Surely they'll have to just write it off (total it) due to the absolute lack of parts locally?

BTW can you update your location please, it still says Germany.

Edited by jackherer

farmer

I have majority of what he needs and the museum some more

If it's fixable it can be saved 

rbdemen
On 7/27/2018 at 12:37 PM, jackherer said:

What is the market value of a 205 GTI there?

Surely they'll have to just write it off (total it) due to the absolute lack of parts locally?

BTW can you update your location please, it still says Germany.

Insurance company offered me +$16K.  Maybe I'm crazy for turning it down, but I insisted that they fix it.  Working with Farmer for panels, and Pug Museum for the rest.  Just need a rear valence if anybody has one willing to ship to the US.

Henry Yorke

I don't think you are crazy for turning it down.  Think of it positively and that it is getting a rear end overhaul.  Make sure they drop the tank and address any issues there whilst they are at it.  You may need new brake lines and fuel lines too whilst you are getting the rear beam refurbished ;)

• Like 1

farmer

Did well get all the back end parts new as they are getting harder to get hold