• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

barneys66

Longer fifth gear for 1.9 BE1 with 4.4 FD

barneys66

I did have a good search on here, promise, and see that 0.76:1 fifth gears have been suggested.  I want to drop cruising revs but retain first to fourth as is.

However, I can't remember seeing if someone categorically says it's a simple cover-off / bolt on swap (don't really want to have to open the box up again), and if the gear needs to come from an Mi16 and / or 1.6 309.

Can someone confirm the ease of the swap, and a source for the gear - even better if you have part numbers or a spare gear you want to sell..!

Thanks all

Andy

If you look at the gear ratio information on Peter Taylor’s excellent site, it shows that the 0.76 fifth gear is in the Mi16 box. It will swap into your 1.9 box without drama, as will 6th gear from the gti6 box. The 0.76  5th bear ratio may also be in some diesel boxes. I have one of the latter coming to me in a couple of weeks, so I will whip off the cover and check. With a 4.44 to 1 final drive, the 0.76 5th does make sense for motorway work , and the 1.9 ratios 1-4 are slightly closer together than the equivalent Mi16 ones . If you use a 1.6 final drive (4.063) , the 0.81 5th would be better ( if you can find one ,hence the r eference to 6th from the gti6 box) 

• Like 1

Andy

Hi. I have been offered a Mi16 box at a good price . I do not really need another box but it has the 0.76 5th an the 4.44 final drive ( which I also have !!) I will enquire, as it is just possible that we may be able to help each other .

barneys66
1 hour ago, Andy said:

Hi. I have been offered a Mi16 box at a good price . I do not really need another box but it has the 0.76 5th an the 4.44 final drive ( which I also have !!) I will enquire, as it is just possible that we may be able to help each other .

Sounds good to me Andy, thanks - keep me posted..

petert

Be careful if you're considering swapping the 0.865 fifth to the 0.757 fifth from an Mi16. You'll create a situation where there is massive 29% gap between the 1.069 fourth and 0.757 fifth, rather than the normal 19%. This is particularly noticeable during spirited driving. Thus why I suggested the 0.81 fifth, which is then only 24% and less noticeable.

Andy

Morning Peter,

I agree. A really big jump, even though the 0.76 -4.44 final drive overall ratio is not too high. The thinking is that the 1.9.  ratios are closer than the Mi16 ones ( well, second to third and third to fourth) and so on twisty roads having four gears close together and fairly low , combined with a high revving engine might be the best compromise , with then a yawning gap to fifth  which would be strictly a motorway/ dual carriageway gear In the end, I can experiment. I have a fully rebuilt Mi16 box ready to go with my new engine ( which is definitely not rebuilt yet) , an excellent 1.9 box, a spare 4.44 crownwheel   and pinion and, with a bit of luck, some fifth gear choices . What I plan to do when the 1.9 box comes out is to replace the crownwheel and pinion with Mi16 ones and then experiment with fifth, as the latter can be changed in situ. In an ideal world, the diesel box which will drop on my doorstep next month will indeed have the 0.81 fifth gear.

barneys66

Same here - happy to experiment given the relative ease of swapping out.

Not sure how often I'll still be pulling into fifth on the road, but it may be an acceptable compromise as I have to drive the car ~60 miles to the autosolo venues.

Thanks again for the great advice and generous reference material.

Andy
On 7/21/2018 at 6:28 PM, barneys66 said:

Sounds good to me Andy, thanks - keep me posted..

I have just pulled apart the 306 diesel box. 5th gear is a mighty 25-38 or 0.66 , just a bit on the tall side!Final drive is 65-16 so potentially handy 4.06.  At the same time as the arrival of the diesel, a ‘hybrid’ 1.9 box also arrived. I will pull that one apart and see what ratios are in that . A bit inundated with gearboxes

• Thanks 1

barneys66
On 7/31/2018 at 1:36 PM, Andy said:

I have just pulled apart the 306 diesel box. 5th gear is a mighty 25-38 or 0.66 , just a bit on the tall side!Final drive is 65-16 so potentially handy 4.06.  At the same time as the arrival of the diesel, a ‘hybrid’ 1.9 box also arrived. I will pull that one apart and see what ratios are in that . A bit inundated with gearboxes

Hi Andy - how's about this for a bump!?  Did you have any luck with your plethora of boxes - mine's currently out of the car and it got me thinking about getting a longer fifth gear sorted.

Let me know and / or I'll pop a wanted ad up.

Andy

Hi. Sorry. That 5th from the diesel got used in another box.

Andy

petert

Andy do you still have the 4.06 cwp?

Andy

Yep. Will email you.

Andy