• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Matt205

GTI6 No Spark Following Long Term Storage

Matt205

Hello,

I have done some searching but I'm left with uncertainty and would appreciate some advice.  Background

- Car has been unused and stored for ~2 years.  During storage the battery was disconnected.

- Prior to storage the car ran reliably post-GTI6 conversion

- No spark.  Fuel pump does prime and injectors are showing 12v during this process.

- New CPS fitted. 

- ECU has been removed and refitted but not used in another vehicle.   

- ECU came with the engine I sourced.

Can anyone advise on the most likely cause and best approach to diagnose.  I'm wondering:

-  Could it be an ECU issue?  Could this somehow lock and cause an issue even though it is the one that came with the engine and has run for several years without issue.

-  Can I diagnose whether the ECU is the root cause (I do not have another car to connect it to)?   I'm trying to pin point the likely cause before paying to sort an issue with the ECU, which may be wasted money.

-  Could it be an issue with the double relay?  Again, anyway I can diagnose? 

-  Any other ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks!

Richie-Van-GTi

do the injectors fire?

Toddy

Did you replace the CPS assuming that it was faulty? The ecu needs to receive a signal from the crank sensor that the flywheel is moving.

relay sounds like it's working,

the injectors are negatively earthed through the ecu.

Have you cleaned up the earthing points for the battery and  ecu if it's been stood 2 years?

allanallen

Having had similar problems with more than one car  it was down to a (soft) unlocked ecu locking itself or a failed cps. 

With the failed cps it would jump start but not start off the key. 

Edited by allanallen

Matt205

Thanks for the responses.   CPS was changed just because I thought it could be the root cause and wasn't an expensive items to take a punt on.   I did go through and clean up battery terminals, earths etc.   I am suspecting the ECU.    Can anyone recommend a company or individual on here who offers a service to check and unlock the ECU?

Matt205

Just to close the loop on this, should anyone be searching in the future, the issue was the ECU which I sent off for unlocking and then it fired first time.  

• Like 1