• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Richie-Van-GTi

What parts ruin a restoration?

Richie-Van-GTi

Obviously anything crap can ruins a restoration, but would speedlines on a 1.6 or a 309 beam ruin it?

Tom Fenton

Your car, your choice at the end of the day.

There is something to be said for a nice totally stock example in my eyes, but then I've one of those, and also one that's very modified.

Pedant mode on, the 1.6 GTI came with its own Speedline wheels!

Gaz205

I spent a lot of money refurbishing my 1.6 wheels, even had the centres polished only to decide I wanted 1.9 wheels. Best move I ever made as it made my car in my opinion to get the 1.9 wheels.

Choose which you prefer and do it that way, originality is for an investment car or one you only plan on showing.

Richie-Van-GTi
1 hour ago, Tom Fenton said:

Pedant mode on, the 1.6 GTI came with its own Speedline wheels!

Sorry, meant to say 1.9 speedline wheels :P

I get the whole your car thing but the question is, do you think non standard parts (not chavvy bits) de-value a car much? If you wanted a standard car would you se 1.9 wheels as a big no no etc.

No intention of selling my 205 but also trying to bear in mind it is potentially a long term investment.

Gaz205

I don't think there will ever be a factual answer to this.

id say as long as they are either 1.6 or 1.9 parts on the 205 and not some chavved up bolt on crap then you won't struggle to sell it.

if you have knackered 1.6 seats but the opportunity to get good 1.9 ones then surely the incorrect ones are better than keeping the old ones? Same with the wheels etc... The only thing I'd say try and do is not mess with ph1 parts like the dash and mirrors, wings , spoiler and doors etc (although I had to)

I'd even say I would contemplate putting ph2 rear lights on my ph1 simply because I like them...

just make it look the best you can with the parts that you like. You'll not get any less for it at sale time unless you are passing it off as a Concourse car

barneys66

I prefer to see 1.6 wheels on a 1.6. 

Speakers can ruin a nice interior.. 

Tom Fenton

Agreed on the wheels

I also think phase 2 rear lights just look wrong on any car that isn’t H registered or later, although I don’t mind the clear indicators on older cars.

Daxed

Just came in for a break, 1/2hr of footie, a cup of tea, a peruse of the forum and then back out to put the last 2 newly refurbed 1.9 speedlines on my 1.6.

Wish I hadn't (perused that is, not the wheels) 

acox99

I have to admit I also have 1.9 wheels on my 1.6, but then I have base model hubs and discs on the back so at least the track looks right for them. I just can’t like the 1.6 wheels how ever much I try. Maybe just fit a set of  SL434’s then there can be no argument. 

Edited by acox99

Tom Fenton

Ok they aren’t as iconic or timeless as the 1900 wheel I will admit.

But with the diamond cut centre look at them! 

Stop abuse of 1600 GTIs! Give it back it’s proper wheels! 

4AFDECE2-451C-4FBC-9FA1-2343E8A754FD.jpeg

• Like 1

allanallen

F’in flikr, I’ll suss it one day! 

GLPoomobile

I became a fan of the 14" 1.6 Speedlines after seeing Andy C's Mi converted 1.6. Don't like them if still on stock ride height but if sensibly lowered and on a dark coloured 205 I think the 14s look great. The 15s will always be king though.

sp_en_ny

Personally don't like the 1.6 wheels, first thing I did to my cti was put 1.9 speedlines on it.  But each to their own.

Gaz205

At the end of the day I can't see anyone not buying one because of the wheels it has on. Another factor for me was finding someone that could balance the 14's, my usual places got rid of their machines to do them years ago