• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Driveshaft knock?

I am getting a loud knock from the front of the car on first moving off.  By this I mean, after it has been parked up.  Happens both if I reverse (say out of the garage/parking space) or simply move off forwards.  

It only seems to happen at very low speeds and usually only once.  I don't seem to be able to hear it at speed, or after I've moved off for the first time.  It seems to do it without any lock applied and I also cannot notice any play in the CV joint itself, just from inspecting it beneath the car.

MOT tester picked the "knock" up (which I as already aware of), but couldn't identify it.

When I recently had the driveshafts out, I noticed that the intermediate bearing on the driver's side shaft was a bit "loose".  By this I mean, there was a bit of lateral movement in it.  I should have inspected it further/replaced, but I was in a rush to get it back together, so banged it on.

Could a faulty intermediate bearing cause this knock do we think?  

jackherer

That sounds like slightly loose subframe bolts to me.

welshpug

is it a single knock as you move forwards or backwards?

I will check subframe bolts - thanks.

WP - yes a single knock, then it doesn’t seem to do it again (at least that I can hear, bearing in mind that car’s moving from then on.  However, it doesn’t do it after coming to a stop at junctions, traffic etc).  

toolie72

Pad sticking to disc after a while?

welshpug

I would think worn caliper sliders if it has Bendix calipers fitted, front 1.6 or rear 1.9.

top engine mount can also cause clunks.

309SRiguy

"worn caliper sliders if it has Bendix calipers fitted"

I had a similar clunk that did not stop after fitting new drive shafts.  

The noise stopped after overhauling the Bendix calipers. It has returned after about 1000 miles.

Backing up, braking, then driving forward and applying brakes gives a clunk.

The slider pins were a bit worn and although well packed with grease I think that has now thinned out allowing movement again. The sliders load up the slack in reverse braking then clunk when the opposite load is applied during forward braking.  They then work well and do not make noise again until I have used them in reverse. 

Well having checked this morning:

It's not the subframe bolts.

Not the engine mounts.

I don't think it feels like pads sticking.

Re calipers - I have gti6 fronts and, iirc, calipers from a 306 on the rear.  Could these be Bendix?  Though I'm fairly sure the knock is coming from the front of the car, and I think, the driver's side.

Any more ideas?!

welshpug

check the caliper mounting bolts are tightening down fully, I have had the bolts torque up but not actually clamp the carrier properly after a brake swap due to variation in bolt lengths and corrosion in the previously exposed threads.

the rear calipers are much the same design as the 1.6 fronts other than the handbrake mechanism.

other than this and the things yiuve checked its difficult to suggest more without experiencing the sound!

Not sure if this was the cause of the knock I was hearing, but I found that my passenger side front wheel bearing had a bit of play in it.  I managed to tighten it a little on the hub nut, though there is still a little side-to-side play in it.  I'll have to drive it for a bit to see if it makes any difference having been tightened.