• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

What to do with my ratty GR

Telf

By June I should have the GTI back in all its glory so Im wondering what to do with project ratbag.

Its a '89 1.4 GR. Its in reasonable shape and in the 2 odd years Ive owned it has covered about 15000 miles so its now on 184K.

3 options seem likely

1 . Scrap it.

2. Sell it on

3. strip it of useable parts for the GTI and then scrap the shell-so bumpers, headlights, indicators etc etc

I really cant decide what to do. What would you guys do with it?

Telf

Heres the car in question- it looks ok and mechanically it is fine although the paintwork (resprayed by us) isn't the best!

post-21474-0-13013600-1486826852.jpg

Edited by Telf

Telf

and it was a real pig( as some may remember) when we collected it in 2015..

post-21474-0-69336500-1438325222_thumb.jpg

Edited by Telf

Telf

ah option 4 . Keep it and do something horrendous like put a monster engine in it... hmmm...

Biggles

Why would you destroy it if it's in reasonable condition ?  That rules out 1 & 3.

Do you need / want / have space of another car ?  Do you have the time / money to fit that supercharged 2L and then use & maintain it ?  If it's not yes to all those, then let someone else enjoy it, ie option 2. 

welshpug

2 or 5, keep and use.

barneys66

Option 6 - mothball it.  Always good to have a spare car you can trust,

Telf

I'm wary of selling it on due to its age I'd hate for someone to have a drama in it after I've sold it. Can't really keep it as I've no space. It was originally a first car for the boy ( he's learned to drive on private roads in it) but I'm not happy for him to have it as a first car. There's much safer stuff available now. Probably offer it for sale on the forum I think. Cheers chaps.

Leslie green

Its an old  used car if has an mot its good to sell on ,everybody knows old small cars are crap in a crash ! Will likely go to someone who had one years ago as its far too old for most people now to have any interest in as a daily .

dobboy

or 7, sell it to a farmer as a cheap reliable runabout the land type thing.

Telf
10 hours ago, Leslie green said:

Its an old  used car if has an mot its good to sell on ,everybody knows old small cars are crap in a crash ! Will likely go to someone who had one years ago as its far too old for most people now to have any interest in as a daily .

its actually been a pretty awesome daily, 200 miles a week since the GTi went in resto last March.

Gaz205

Last March?! Wow I didn't realise it had been that long. Time flies.

Seems a shame to scrap it, especially as it's done so well for you. Everything has its value and I'm sure a well worded ad would have the car in the hands of an appreciative new owner.

Telf

its been that long and the GTI is only just getting paint now- in fact I think I drove it to the workshop in mid Feb 17....

I'm past the point of getting angry

I've been assured the car will be out in June- not holding my breath.. still the engines nearly done!

RossD

Option 4. Its what I did with my GR..... Its still going strong and I will never sell it! See sig for project thread. Currently got a 180bhp EW10J4S in it from a 206 GTi180.

ian010778

Electric conversion - the first fully electric 205???

Prep' it for racing and have some fun :-)

Telf
7 hours ago, RossD said:

Option 4.

I have considered doing something like this. At the moment its still my daily ratty runner- someone told me it is an eyesore in the car park today!

Telf
2 hours ago, ian010778 said:

I am a electrical technician- but not sure a 205 chassis could hold many batteries!

jackherer
2 hours ago, ian010778 said:

It definitely wouldn't be the first!

5b03008f591f2_Peugeot-Electric-225255B925255D.thumb.jpg.5da264b051c3b923fb2f3ab2d69f57fd.jpg5b0300922d424_Peugeot-Electric-325255B825255D.thumb.jpg.370c78346b90787f58cf8969c0703118.jpg

• Haha 1

ian010778
16 hours ago, Telf said:

I am a electrical technician

I'm sure you could whip up a hydrogen fuel cell conversion over the long weekend :P

Telf

to busy trying to get the GTI finished LoL

• Like 1