• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

wildejon

Back in the game... (and of course I start with questions/problems)

wildejon

For some crazy reason I bought another 205. An unmolested 1991 1.9 - it is red (and a little orange in places, lol..), it is totally weird having the steering wheel on the wrong side (the left),

(We now live in Germany).

I already have a list of things to do, one that is really bugging me (and is also the lowest priority) is the paint and I am not sure if I can do anything other than a respray. The bonnet and roof are definitely more orange than the rest of the car.

I did a search on here and it seems like there are some recommended products to try before resorting to paint (it cost me quite a bit and I cannot actually afford paint right now...). Any ideas other than Farecla G3, perhaps start with something softer?

There are a couple of rust spots, maybe more but they are hidden for now. Under the boot and an earthing point near the wheel arch. Neither are huge but will get some love soon.

I also need to source an indicator stalk as this one seems a bit floppy and does not return to neutral by itself. 

Anyone know if it is possible to dismantle and fix it?!

I also need to find a front grille, or have this one re-sprayed. The previous owner (who had it since new!) made a truly terrible job of it.

I need a cam cover seal too, that is for me to figure out with Peugeot in Germany... in German :S

Hope you are looking forward to a host of questions I am sure to have :D

Edited by wildejon

Anthony

Glad to hear that you finally managed to get hold of one - even if collection was a little more "eventful" than you'd have liked judging from Facebook.  Looked quite tidy and can't be many one owner cars around these days :)

You can dismantle the indicator stalk if you're careful as it's a fiddly job, although I've not tried doing so to fix the symptom you describe.  However, given it's identical to base models and easily sourced, it's probably easier just buying another one - they're generally long lasting in my experience other than the odd issue with the high beam.

Cam cover seal doesn't need to come from Peugeot as it's a common part shared with various XU engines, but if you do go to Peugeot, best obtaining the part number from Servicebox and take that to the dealer.  If nothing else, it should mean no mistakes that could occur if you were trying to describe the part in German if you're not yet fluent.

wildejon

Thanks mate!

I might have an experiment with the stalk and keep it as a spare if I can figure it out :)

Still struggling with ServiceBox, Peugeot said to wait until the 3rd and ask again if I still don’t have access.

No worries if you have a new one though, that helps a lot.

Thanks!

Gaz205

Be careful with the paint... You could go through it! Especially on the edges / curves

wildejon

Yeah, I think the previous owner was a bit keen to use abrasive polish all the time :/

Not even sure what type of paint it is, reading on here it seems like different red 205’s had different types of paint and that might need a different approach.

I know absolutely zero about it so far.

I guess it will end up with a professional although I would like to try first.

Gaz205

You'll probably enjoy taking it to bits and prepping it for someone else to paint. I know I did and learnt a lot too. I'm glad I waited for mine to be mechanically sorted before tackling the paint.

is there a paint code under the bonnet anywhere ?

wildejon

Yeah, that might be fun, depends just how much I strip it I guess :D

It is in a shared underground garage, lol.

Yup, there is a paint code, P3KB, not sure what that means yet. Seems like there are different reds - I know nothing about car paint and layers :D

MrStock

Every car painter has a paint detection device. This takes 1 min and is very accurate. 

Thijs_Rallye

As for your cam cover seal:

https://www.pkwteile.de/

I have good experiences with them. If you pick an Elring or Reinz seal you can't go wrong. OE number is: 0249.48 and is listed as NFP. (no surprises there)

wildejon

Well that was lucky, there was a list of about 6 on Mister Auto and I ordered an Elring one yesterday :D

wildejon

Ah cool, these guys have an app too. Even better!

dawning

The indicator stalk might be related to the steering joint not be pushed on far enough, as the plastic tabs behind the steering wheel don't engage and cancel the indicators. I had the same prob after I put my steering back together.

• Thanks 1

wildejon

Cool, I will take a look!

Just before I bought it, some garage had it to fix one of the blower fans, they messed up reassembling the trim properly, maybe they did this too...