• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Cobalt_drill_bit

Learn about some parts

Cobalt_drill_bit

Dear 205 loving people,

This week I did my first major car repair job at an DIY Auto Repair Shop in Hilversum, the Netherlands. I replaced the left front wheel bearing. Actually the removal and reinstall of the new bearing in the hub carrier I left to a professional shop. But unmounting the entire hub carrier and the reassembly I did myself! Quite proud on that one.

You know not without some swearing as the driveshaft came loose on the differential side and lost all my transmission oil. But now I also learned to drain/refill transmission oil as well as the skills to replace the driveshaft, well .... at least the left one.

Ok, I came across some parts that left me wondering about their function. I'd be glad if someone with more experience could elaborate on that. Before diving into details I need to say I've a base model 205 with TU1M engine.

1 Deflector

The picture below is from a french book on the baseline 205 from Revue Technique Automobile:

https://www.amazon.fr/Rta-112-1-Peugeot-Essence-Diesel/dp/2726811213 . The book is from december 1st, 2009. That was the most recent version. I believe there as translated versions but not for this latest 2009 version. However I'm forced to learn some automotive french but Google translate to the rescue. I like this book pretty much and it goes into sufficient detail to carefully plan repairs and buy the right stuff. However they don't refer to OEM numbers.

So what I want to know about is item 12 in this picture, translated to deflector in english. Is this to keep road debris and other dirt out of the bearing? If so, it pretty much sucks as I'm missing this part at my left front hub carrier. I could not found this part in the servicebox pages. Is this deflector important?

front_suspension_RTA.thumb.JPG.f21c9c9699bdf8faa95f1d15ddf5c17d.JPG

2 Balljoint protection plate

Item 2: OE 362307 is also missing on my car. What is the function of this piece of presumably sheet metal?

hub_carrier.JPG.376d36d136abd1401ec6218b83d91c5e.JPG

3 Washer-like stop plate on brake caliper

Here item 3, OE 442792. What is the function of this part? I'm not missing it I'm just curious.

front_brake_caliper.thumb.JPG.832f244cf1dc303e5a784e015a3f01dd.JPG

Thanks a lot!!

Best regards,

Maarten Verhage

toolie72

Picture 1 I’m not sure (none on my car)

picture 2 balljoint shield (remade ones on eBay)(again my car has none lol)

picture 3 British mot failure if it’s missing (eBay or make yourself) 

farmer

You'll find you will get both parts in the 2nd and 3rd picture cheaply from Peugoet 

Edited by farmer
  • Thanks 1

Roeland_Vester

I think the balljoint protector plate is there just as a heat shield for the rubber cover, which is quite close to the brake disc. I can't think of anything else to shield the balljoint from. The rubber boot should prevent any dust from entering. 

My car has a protector plate on one side, but not on the other. Balljoints look the same.

• Thanks 1