• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mowflow

Weird steering stalk behaviour

mowflow

After putting the car back together I'm having some trouble getting my steering stalks to work properly.

The left hand stalk the horn works fine, sidelights come on, dipped beam and main beam work. The indicators don't work at all but I've just read about the hazard switch which is currently removed. None of the dash lights come on with the lights and turning the stalk makes the fuel guage leap to full.

The right hand stalk the front wipers work fine, both washers are fine but here's the weird bit. Turning the rear wiper on turn the side lights on complete with jumping fuel guage.

I've had the dash top back off today and can't see anything plugged up incorrectly. I also cut back the front earth's beside the headlights and replaced with ring connectors.

Any ideas on what's gone wrong?

mowflow

A little progress. The dash/interior lights are working now I've plugged the dimmer back in and I now have indicators since putting the hazard switch in.

Rear wipe is still activating the sidelights and I've no indicators or brake lights at the rear and only the passenger side illuminates.

Anthony

Is the rear earth point plugged in behind the N/S/R tail light?  I imagine if not, you'll get all sort of oddities with the electrics at the back not working properly.

I guess the other question is whether it all worked before you took it apart, and to what extent you took it apart - are we talking back to a bare shell with all the dash and wiring out?

mowflow

Yeah, the rear earth is plugged in using the old connection block but I'm thinking about chopping that off stripping back and replacing the connection.

Everything did work previously (been a few years) and although the car was stripped down the interior front to rear and door looms were never pulled.

mowflow

Replaced the earth connections at the rear but no change to the odd behaviour.

I have 2 random loose connections behind the NSR light (thick blue wire with a red connection and green wire with a brown connection). Should these be going somewhere?

IMG_20180314_141656.jpg