• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
spike

Spark plugs for race engines

spike

What spark plugs would you recommend for a 1.9 Gti 8 valve engine running about 180bhp?

Cheers

Mike

DamirGTI

Depends on which route you went with the engine modifications I'd say .

But overall good recommendation for modified engine is one step colder : NGK BCP8ES .. or BP8ES (cheaper but will need trimming down to fit as it's 20mm type wrench plug)

Works really good in high compression ratio NA engine as well as turbocharged .. though , if using some fancy SA ECU would be better using some resistor plugs .

Some other interesting plugs which i've tried are Denso TT .. but unfortunately the heat range is split pretty rough either too hot or too cold for 1.9 8v engine .. that's for "usual" copper core style TT plugs , haven't tried iridium/platinum TT's .

Just stay away from the Bosch and Champinon plugs in general and you'll be fine ! had kinda bad experiences with them (Champion especially) .. NGK or Eyquem best if you ask me .

"Racing plugs" ? don't bother , you'll just end up spending more on the "R"

D

jackherer
10 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

if using some fancy SA ECU would be better using some resistor plugs .

This is critical if you have an aftermarket ECU, the plugs need to have an R in the code or you can have all sorts of weird issues. So the NGK BCP8ES Damir suggests would need to be BCPR8ES.

spike

Splendid, thanks chaps. You have confirmed what I was thinking and I will definitely use NGKs!

Just done a search and can't find any BCP8ES or BCPR8ES in stock anywhere.

Any ideas?

jackherer

BKR8E seems to be listed as an equivalent but I always take those lists with a pinch of salt, they also list a lot of 7 grade NGKs as equivalent when they clearly aren't.

welshpug

I bought 8's on ebay as well as my local motorfactors, they had them in the next day

DamirGTI

BCP8ES or BCPR8ES tend to be hard to find sometimes .. motorcycle shops usually have them (Yamaha runs NGK's) as well as other NGK range a bit more choice of various heat ranges and types than what you can find in the car part shops .

As said , if using aftermarket ECU , you'll really want some resistor plugs of the 8 grade .. if not , if using OE ECU or if you run carbs can find BP8ES easily .. they're the same plug as BCP8ES with the exception being 20mm body for 20mm plug wrench , these will just need trimming down to 16mm (few min. with the grinder does the trick !) .. but both BCP8ES and BP8ES are non resistor plugs .

D

Tom Fenton

TRY a BKR8EIX iridium plug. Direct fit.

petert

8's or even 9's, if it's above 11:1

welshpug

really?!  I have 12.5-1!

welshpug
24 minutes ago, spike said:

Don't they have to be 'P' version?  

I can get BCR8ES from my local Factor, which would be a result!

they don't have to be, that's what I am running in my 2.2 and what DCC used to run in his 8v  (both around 12.5+ to 1 compression and 285/300 degree cams, I'm at 240 ish and dan was 176)

I don't think a protruding variant of an 8 range plug exists in that thread & length.

Edited by welshpug

spike
3 minutes ago, welshpug said:

they don't have to be, that's what I am running in my 2.2 and what DCC used to run in his 8v  (both around 12.5+ to 1 compression and 285/300 degree cams, I'm at 240 ish and dan was 176)

Thanks for that. I'll give them a go!

jamie_1992

Any recommendations for gti6 spark plugs in a hicomp engine 

welshpug

as above!

petert

I've got BKR8E.