• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lybker

How to: 205 tubular front end

lybker

Planning a new project intented for next winter, on how I could improve accessability to the engine bay...this made me think of making a removable front end frame to allow for the complete front end including lights, bumber, bonnet and wings to detact. Has anybody been down that route?

Any comments on "best practice" and important items to be aware off, before making the first cut would be greatly appriciated

second question...do Dimma or other companies offer a complete glassfiber front that would hopefully make this project less of a hassle?

inspiration :-)

Example

IMG_1577.JPG

calvinhorse

Are you planning to replace the shock towers or just leave them like they do with drift cars and just add a “bash bar”? 

lybker

yes præcise - cut the front off next to the engine mounts, and make a detachable / flip front like drift cars. This "bash bar" must compensate the integrity lost, when cutting off the first part of the beams.

Parf of the reason is, currently the engine can not be removed from the shell without a large amount of dissasembly - as the turbo hinders the engine from being removed downwards, and 4x4 transfer box limits engine exit through the top. Would be nice to be able to pull it straight out :-)

to simplify this, I am curious,who makes a complete part in glassfiber similar to the picture - Dimma?

welshpug

sounds like an excessively complex excercise for very minimal gain, itll be a lot heavier than some pressed french tin most likely!

sounds like making the turbo and intercooler easier to remove would be more productive, but how often will you really take it apart?!

lybker

Yes might be the correct conclusion - simply being to much effort to change it. Then I am glad I had some sense talked into me :-)

As minimum, i wanted to be able to easily remove first the bumber and grill, maybe front wings, and then headlight mounts and all surrounding trim, only leaving the 2 beams.

the small crossbeam is already cut and replaced by a grid of round steel to fit room and hold the larger radiator, I imagine extending this to also carry the lights and bumper, essentially unbolting 4-6 points, disconnect wires and hoses and remove....

IMG_1580.JPG

Tom Fenton

Bumper can easily be made quickly removeable. Make the front lower cross bar bolt in. Then you can remove bumper grille radiator and cross bar and it can all come out of the front?

welshpug

the lights dont get in the way of removing the engine, so at the most I would do like Tom suggested and make the front lower crossmember removable.

SwedishBob

Here is mine quick release solution.

2018-02-21-08-32-55_foto_2018-02-20_13_3

2018-02-21-08-32-55_foto_2018-02-20_13_3

Edited by SwedishBob