• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Woody205

Advice needed to fit discs to rear axle

Woody205

Evening guys and girls I have a 205 Gti 1.9 with an mi16 but somewhere along the line it’s had an axle with drums fitted.id like to convert it back to discs and wanted to know if anyone could help me in what’s needed to do so or will I need another 1.9 axle as I wasn’t sure if they were specific but I didn’t think they were.

thanks in advance 

pug_ham

First thing to check is what back axle it has fitted imo, you might be lucky & find it's a 1.6 GTI beam but there is a good possibility it's a lower spec base model beam.

GTI beams have different torsion bars, anti roll bar and radius arms along with a different thicker centre tube (usually painted yellow) compared to non gti model 205's.

To swap from discs to drums isn't difficult, you need the stub axles, caliper brackets, hubs & hub nut and this can all fit onto the radius arms you have once you get them but it's probably a better idea to refurb the beam you have (whatever it may be) before spending too much on bits to swap drum to disc.

g

xy8

I used 306 trailing arms with discs and calipers   from 306 rear axle  I had.  I also used 21 mm  306 torsion bars , shortened to fit.

Rear axle  is  something like 7 or 10 mm wider  I don´t  remember  any more   , about 1.5 degrees camber and some toe in unfortunately. 

Edited by xy8

Anthony
2 minutes ago, xy8 said:

I also used 21 mm  306 torsion bars , shortened to fit.

How did you shorten the torsion bars out of interest?  From memory, there's not enough meat to be able to cut and re-spline them like you can the ARB and I wouldn't have thought you could cut and weld them either?

• Like 1

xy8

Simple job really.Splined part was cut off, drilled to 17 mm,torsion was cut off to right length, machined to fit 17 mm hole.  Splined part was then heated ,installed and welded, outside and inside. Add m8 threaded hole and i got 21mm torsions basically for free.

It was more like an experiment at first because everybody said it will not work,but it was 3 - 4 years ago, TB' s are still ok .