• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Engine loom remake

Telf

As part of my on going restoration I'm thinking of completely remaking my engine loom so I can remove any electrical gremlins for a few years.

Has anybody remade these looms and if so can you advise if the plugs/connectors etc are still available?

Thanks

Tom Fenton

Careful about doing work for nowt here in my experience.

Clean down what you have. The engine loom itself as in the management stuff is usually reasonably OK as most connections are sealed.

The sensor loom suffers but is easy to repair, the best way is to alter the routing as if you unpick it and look where it actually runs, it goes past most of the places it ends up to the shoddy brown plug, then runs back on itself to the starter, alternator, oil switches etc. Re do it in new cable with appropriate heat shrink terminals etc.

The headlight and lighting loom suffers at the front, again due to unsealed connections. Best thing here is cut back to good, repair, then bin the standard connectors off for modern sealed plugs. Bin the naff standard earth points and do something better either fixed solid spades or ring terminals onto the front panel.

Telf

I was actually thinking of running everything earth wise to the main gearbox stud tom

Mac Crash

The shoddy brown plug in the engine bay... which colour wire here is for the battery dash light?