• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dawning

Just bought a gti6! help!

dawning

I recently made a rather impulse decision and bought a 306 gti6. Reality of it is now a bit scary as the car is in bad shape and I don't have cash to waste on another car! I have a long list of things to do to my 205. 

Test driving the car I instantly knew that it wasn't driving well, the throttle was really stiff and pulling away and changing gear was tricky. Seemed to pull well in the higher revs though and gears all selected ok. There was a faint knocking sound which has since become a lot louder. It has been lowered a bit too much, debadged tailgate is not to my taste, it's black with painted white wheels, an aftermarket exhaust which needs to go, and a silly air filter. I think the most annoying part is that it had a new clutch, but it was some junk from ecp, and it judders already :( its 1997 various electrical problems, so many things the seller failed to mention it seems but my own fault for not checking properly. So I now own a gti6 with 150k miles and 6 months MOT. I paid 1000, which was too much I know, I am looking at parts and think I could do new suspension front and rear and clutch for around 600, then could easily spend another 400 on various bits and that's if I am lucky. 

So my options are try to sell it, anyone want to buy it? £1000 London pm me if interested! 

Or keep it. And hope it's value goes up and my hard work is rewarded. I can tell it could be a very capable car, less tiring than driving everywhere in a 205, the acceleration did feel quite impressive compared to my xs, and I even liked the automatic wipers. 

Any comments suggestions? Should I save the 306 is it worth it? Thanks for reading, I'm just talking to myself really but  wanted to share with some fellow Peugeot people. I know I should probably post this on the 306 don't worry im not selling the 205.. no chance

speno

150k I'm afraid it won't be that sought after . Personally I don't think they will rise like 205 prices . 

I would get shut and may be take a hit on it or you might be able to get your money back

dcc

Put it on eBay

dawning

Thanks for your replies. I'm not very good at making decisions but I'm going to stick it on ebay and see how it does.

Tom Fenton

Without wanting to sound like a C*** but from your description you test drove it and basically found it horrible and yet bought it anyway?!

Learn when to walk away is my advice. I would say at a budget of around £1000 if you take your time looking you should be able to find a nice example that might need a few bits sorting.

• Like 1

dawning

Yep, definitely need to learn to walk away! Thanks for the advice, I will try to use my head next time! It is rough around the edges but still drives ok can see the potential for a good handling car I didn't feel worried driving it. The body seems solid is and the engine is smooth and quiet so it has a future I but I don't think I'm the right person, I do look at it and it looks cool, the black looks good and I want to make it back to good health but it's too much commitment, work isn't great, still haven't finished the 205xs, and its so simple in comparison!