• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jackherer

Xsara VTS PH2 Fuel pressure reg 3.5 bar?

dcc

I wonder if the extra 0.5bar pressure at the fuel rail improves injector spray pattern and atomisation of fuel? 

welshpug

I doubt a minimal change in pressure like that will alter the pattern at all, the Xsara uses different more modern injectors as well, on top of a next generation double lambda ecu, and yet they make no more power.

Proving that you need to get more air in not just throw more fuel at it, though also highlighting how a modern management system can improve the efficiency of a vehicle on part throttle.

jackherer

I can't see it making much difference. The only reason I needed a 3.5 bar reg was because I'd mapped my car with an aftermarket one that happened to be set to 3.5 bar and I thought it had developed a fault.

That said my engine does make surprisingly good power with some crappy old Rover injectors so it obviously doesn't hurt.

Andy

This has been a very interesting and helpful thread. For fuel pressure regulation, I  use a Colin Satchell fpr adaptor and a gti6 ( Bosch) fpr . I did have a Sytec fpr but binned it after the mapping as it would not hold pressure with consistency .  I have noticed that after the pump is off, fuel pressure fades away over a couple of minutes , but not immediately . I had always assumed it was the fpr allowing that behaviour( when I had the Sytec, I plumbed in a gauge too for a while ) . Now I know it is the non return on the pump( which, by the way, I have not replaced so it is, as far as I know, the better part of 25 yr old ) . First sign of a problem now and I know what to do . Thank you.

Andy

Oh . Almost forgot. Injectors. Jeep Cherokee ( 214 C.C./min@3 bar . 4 nozzle spray. I replaced my o.e yellow ones ( reconditioned) . I cannot say that the car makes more power, but I can report that the tickover ( warm and cold ) improved immediately . And the cost ? $99 inc shipping 

jackherer

Is yours a phase 2? If it is and you're after a new fuel pump I can definitely recommend the one I got on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232577297247 - and it's €0.80 cheaper now too! I used everything in the kit except for the fuel hose, I had to keep the original S shaped hose but it was still in very good condition.

Andy

Yes it is. Thanks for that link. It might be a very good investment on my part.

welshpug

do you still have that 0 580 464 993  pump Kieran?   I'd be interested in that fr my phase 1.5 as it was quite noisy last time it was on the road, or a link to where you found it.

jackherer

It's still here but it belongs to a friend so I'll have to find out what he wants to do with it now I'm not going to use it.