• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
monty1991

TU3 radiator upgrades?

monty1991

hello folks, im having some cooling issues with my 205 rally car,  engine is a high comp 12:1 running on webbers,,

atm i have to run full fans an no grill to keep her below 100 when i come in from a 3 min stage.  ive no thermostat in and an oil cooler to try help aswell,

is ther any bigger radiators that fit? ive tried a dturbo one but its too wide and hits the alternator,

any ideas?

And

On stage mine will never peak above 90deg normally and that’s just in the slow stuff but soon drops as soon as the speed comes up again, I run a 82deg stat a cheap alloy gti rad with no shroud and I run 4 life coolant and a fan switch of 92-88, it will slowly climb at the end of a stage but not that fast I only struggle with oil temp so need a bigger oil cooler than normal. 

monty1991

Did the gti rad fit in ok?

And

I altered the front panel in the bottom corners basically just squared them off more but the rad is on new custom mounts but only had to do the front panel as I moved everything forward a touch as more clearance to the exhaust manifold the better as that is a big heate soke source. 

monty1991

thanks for the info :D

RossD

Just for a little bit of perspective, my 180bhp EW10 engine is currently running on a TU radiator (Albeit brand new). Temperature control is perfect - Even giving it a good sustained thrash and the temp stays a constant 89 - 91 degrees according to the ECU logs..... It rises quickly in slow traffic, but the fan then keeps the temp between 94 and 98 degrees (Fan cuts in at 98, cuts out at 94).

N3VRAM

A GTI rad was one of the first things we changed in my rallye (uk model), I don't recall having any issues with fitting it in other than the pressure cap not lining up perfectly with the hole in the slam panel as it did before although it still wasn't an issue. We haven't had any problems with water temp thrashing our little engine around on Targa rallies since ^_^

DSCN0845.jpg