• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Plastic Trim Colour

Telf

My G reg (89) cheery red GTi currently has black outer plastic trim.

This is because it was originally faded grey so when I first bought it I set about the plastic with a bottle of black plasticare.

Now its in the middle of a fairly extensive restoration I'm thinking should I keep the trim black or return it Grey?

if I was to paint all the plastics does anybody have any idea what the nearest matches would be for both the black and the grey in terms of paint codes?

Thanks

Edited by Telf

Tom Fenton

Personally put it back to grey, so it matches the dash and is the right colour for the rear lights etc. 

KEITH205

I used a wurth product ,it's a grey dye in a tube like tooth paste it worked very well no streaks and dosnt fade  £20 quid on ebay .

Telf

I'm thinking that the spray shop is going to spray the lot in one go. I've used dyes various for years. The paint guy has assured me the plastics can be painted and won't flake.

I just am not at all sure what shade of grey the plastics where originally

Pugleyrich

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure Peugeot produced a paint to match the earlier bumpers. Someone might be able to confirm if I'm right and, if so, the colour code 

Telf

A bit of Google research today. It seems that the phase 1.5 Grey was called Hurricane Grey , paint code FZL. 

Can anybody more clued up confirm that?

farmer

Pug offer a grey

Off top head maybe 9860 71

Check it, a google search on this forum will reveal it 

Pugleyrich
11 hours ago, farmer said:

Pug offer a grey

Off top head maybe 9860 71

Check it, a google search on this forum will reveal it 

That's the one. That's also the part number you quoted in a thread back in 2014 

• Thanks 1

welshpug

I think theyre about a fiver a can.

Telf

thanks guys I had a look and found the stuff.

the code 986071 does that relate directly to paint code FZL?

Im wondering as Im thinking of getting a plastic paint mixed to cover all the trim.

Telf

Anthracite code FTE has also been quoted as the correct colour for a 89 GTI hence my confusion

Telf

Guys,

I'm still confused over this,

I think the grey plastics are anthracite which comes up as code FTE but I'm not sure this matches the part number 986071.

I've read that Peugeot museum are reproducing the grey plastics but I've not had much success confirming this either- does anybody know anything about this?

Daxed

Looking at the museums latest parts list, the descriptive reference for each external plastic section refers to a 'Finisher', as some are additionally 'Rouge' I'm assuming it's the inserts.

If you want a copy of the list drop me an email address.

The comms with the museum are excellent, send them an email in English and they will get back to you.

My grey plastics are on the list for some TLC this spring, have got the Wurth grey but tempted to get some Gtechniq C4 to try. Anybody tried both and can comment on results and longevity?

• Thanks 1

acox99

I have to say I used to use gtechniq c4, with auto finesse revive on top (which is excellent) but I’m now using Gyeon Q2 which is far superior to the c2 still with revive over the top of it. The plastics look fantastic with it on. 

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/exterior-trim-plastic-care/gyeon-q2-trim/prod_1610.html

• Thanks 1

Telf

I'm looking to paint the plastics, I know some have had problems with flaking etc but the spray guy I'm using is 100% confident that with the correct prep that wont be an issue.

I've used dyes , plasticare etc in the past and they do give excellent results but I want a permanent fix scuffs etc not withstanding.

Daxed

Good luck with it Telf, hope you get the colour match sorted. 

Thanks for the Q2 recommendation, is it suitable for grey trim, I don't want it turning black. 

dobboy

I bought a can of the pig stuff and found it far too light. However I have seen an odd car with light trim in old pictures. But mine back in the day was never as light.

ive mentioned on here before, but I got all my trip painted. It was plastic primered, texturised with a fancy paint, and finished with Ral7022 (iirc) with a matting agent added too, which was a match for my internal trims.

i don’t think there is much paint on them at all but there isn’t a single peel or flake etc.

Turned our good.

209F6697-20FC-476B-897E-AA29A9F1F499.jpeg

dobboy

Here’s a pic I took to show what the colour looks like.

2DC24F9D-A0CE-401E-9DD7-BD7050CF84DD.jpeg

Daxed

Excellent, thanks. 

Looks good. 

I have a crack in the trim over a rear arch. Can I glue it? 

GBCS

I queried the wheel arch trim kits with the museum this morning. I was pleasantly surprised by the reply:

Hello,

These parts are in remanufacturing study and we should be able to put them on the market in about 3 months.

Best regards.

Kévin

PR Classic

Telf

just in time for mine coming out the workshop - hopefully ...maybe..

farmer

Be about 150 euros each I think.