• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Andy F

MI16 1.9 Forged Piston Issue

Kane

Thanks Andy. I was actually checking the feasibility of making a 2.0L from standard parts using a diesel block and Mi16 88mm crank. From my info the XUD9 block height is 234.8mm. So the mi crank, Gti6 rods and EW10 pistons would give 231.5 (44+158+29.5). Would need to deck the block a small chunk. Unsure if this will run into issues with oil/water galleries but if not it could make a reasonable starting point to develop on. 

xy8
45 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks Andy. I was actually checking the feasibility of making a 2.0L from standard parts using a diesel block and Mi16 88mm crank. From my info the XUD9 block height is 234.8mm. So the mi crank, Gti6 rods and EW10 pistons would give 231.5 (44+158+29.5). Would need to deck the block a small chunk. Unsure if this will run into issues with oil/water galleries but if not it could make a reasonable starting point to develop on. 

I used xu10j4r pistons  and rods with 88mm mi16 crank  in xu10 block.  Pistons were skimmed -0,6 mm (33.8 to 33.2)  . 44+158+33.2=235,2 mm  ,  0.2 mm over the deck , measured. 

Cr 10.8 : 1  

Andy

Another option would be to use Mi16 rods (143mm) That means you could use the ew10js pistons in your Xu9D block with the mi crank and only need to machine the tops of the pistons by about 0.5mm to get them flush at tdc. Snag is rod centring . The mi rod little end is 22.45mm and is meant to be piston guided . With your ew pistons , that will be a problem without either matching the pistons to suit the rods or the rods for the pistons . Carving nearly 4mm from the block deck may lead into waterway and oil gallery problems. I honestly have no idea. The other option is to use the ew10r pistons as suggested above  so lots of options . One other way is to shell out on some. PEc ( or similar ) Mi16 rods. They have a wider big end journal and are crank centred and have the 22.45mm small end . Still some piston work to do, but non -critical dimensionally 

Kane

XU10 pistons are no use unfortunately as with an 88mm crank that'd put me over 2.0L (different class).

Andy not sure how you arrived at that figure. With a 143 rod and the EW10J4S piston I'd be sitting over 18mm down the bore.  Plan would be to stick to the long rod for a better rod/stroke ratio. Looking at photos of the XUD9 block the oil/water galleries drop straight down so I don't think taking off a hefty skim would be too problematic. Anyone with a diesel block stripped down have a minute to take a peek at the galleries to confirm? 

welshpug

if you want to make any decent power you need a much larger valve cutout than any standard piston along with more compression.

Andy

You are absolutely right. Having looked that the Ew rod at 139mm I did my calculations on a 143 rod in the ew block, which has a much lower deck height. With gti6 rods at 158mm and a compression height of 29.5mm you are still in to some serious decking and perhaps some piston machining but, as you point out, 1998cc and off the shelf parts . Sorry about the above brain fade. I have an xu10j4 block which I have just looked at and I think that, at 4mm, you will get away with it . It will take a few passes on the milling machine mind !!!! 

Kane

Valve cutouts can be taken out prior to building it up if need be but given that I intend on sticking with hydraulic cams to begin with I'll not worry too much. Compression can be taken care of with decking the block/gasket thickness. 

Not a problem Andy. I think it may be a go'er and by using standard parts it hopefully shouldn't blooter the wallet too hard. Cost will be in all the machining by the looks of it as I don't have access to equipment to give it a go myself. 

Andy

Best of luck. It sounds and interesting combination of effectively o.e parts. 

Andy F

Bit of a delay on an update. Struggling to find the enthusiasm.

Ive attached a video of the amount of movement at the big end.

Couldn't get any closer to take measurements as the baffled spacer won’t come off without the oil pump out. Didn’t fancy that, on the off chance it’s ok to avoid need to do the timing again.

Any verdicts much welcome.