• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mmt

Hi guys,

took My old Oil pump apart. It has been working Really good for years. 

However I noticed that there is no gasket between the two “halves” of the pump housing. 

I have another pump from a broken engine which has a worn gasket. Don’t know anything about the other pump other than it gomes from an engine that blew up. 

Question: did all pumps come with a gasket ? Is it ok to continue with the old pump without a gasket or should I take the old pump apart and fit a gasket to it? 

petert

No gasket. The surfaces are machined to a high enough finish that they don't need any. Adding a gasket will lower the performance of the pump considerably.

mmt

Great, thanks. I’ll continue the engine building with the old non gasket pump then:-) 

cheers

Andy

Afternoon. I have spent the afternoon stripping and cleaning a pair of oil pumps, with a view to using whichever is the best. One is from an Xu10j4 the other from an xu10j4RS . I expected them to be the same. And they are, nearly. Both have a bolt on baffle, both have the chain guard, both have the 6 bar spring but the RS pump (a) has a metal gasket between the halves of the housing (b) a metal plunger shaped rod which I think fits at the non piston end of the spring and (c) a rather different oil pickup housing . Photographs attached. Plan is to use one of them along with an oil pickup extension from Petert ( email sent Peter) . Thoughts and comments please.

The j4 one is slightly better in the sense that the housing that surrounds the driven gear is less scored than in the RS one

5A53C9D5-51CF-4EEE-AFC3-B63F5AE3C481.jpeg

CD9B9F1C-1910-42E8-B5F8-A8635B1A3DF4.jpeg

8F7EBC61-A78A-4F3B-9356-A3E08100FF34.jpeg

B000D9D3-D542-4781-97A3-27F02D645149.jpeg

FDE55623-D4D9-4739-BAC1-82F506902618.jpeg

mmt

I made exactely the same observations. I went with the trusted xu10j4 pump without the gasket. Mainly because it has been working with no fails. 

My rs pump gasket looks just like yours. 

Anyone know if the small design changes improves the newer rs pump? 

I upgraded to the newer sleeved chain srocket. 

50D32802-A685-4061-9F07-5E52FABE160B.jpeg

Andy

I am doing exactly the same thing with my oil pump drive. However, small caution. The combined depth of the spacer and original sprocket is not quite the same as the depth of the newer one piece spacer- sprocket ( the newer one is about 1.5 mm deeper . This will push the cam drive gear further out from the engine by 1.5 mm and might just be a problem with cam belt alignment. I need to do some more checking. What I like most about the newer drive gear is that fact that it is keyed onto the crank. As for oil pumps, I have a choice but like you wondered if the RS pump, with its revisions, was a ‘better’ pump. Perhaps someone on here knows.

mmt

Yes I noticed the difference in size of the drive. However I do not think this makes any difference. There is room for this in the rest of the cam drive.