• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mmt

Timing GTI6

mmt

Hi guys,

I have been Looking through a lot of posts on cam timing but still not quite sure I found What I am Looking for. 

Did anyone make a guide on How to time a GTI 6 engine?

Back in 2014 JeffR wrote:

Note the position of the woodruff keys. These are the positions the cams need to be in when the belt is off (and you've correctly set the static position with the pistons half way down the bore).

Fit the cam gears & rotate the cams until you can lock them again, fit the belt, rotate engine 720° and make sure you can re-pin the crank & both cams. 

WHEN is the cam sprockets tightend up? Do I tension the belt and then tighten Them up so the key/sprocket is fixed? 

Is it:

1) TDC the bottom by fitting a bolt through the alignment hole en the crank pully. 

2) fit the head

3) time the cams as above. 

4) fit the belt

5) tension the belt

6) tension the sprockets 

late evening confusion :-) 

thanks. 

4693E718-3151-4BF4-8C13-6E911A27C78C.png

welshpug

1, yes pin the bottom end, however an XU does not pin at tdc.

2, yes.

3, correct, you place them at the angles pictured, do not in any circumstances do a full turn independently as you will bend valves.

4 & 5 correct.

6, with the 3 bolt type ensure you do not over tighten as the pulleys can crack, with the later single bolt type use a pulley holding tool and torque the centre bolt with the pin removed, confirm the pin still fits.

mmt

Thanks. You are indeed a friend in need. And a speedy answering one too :-) 

Haven’t used the sliding sprockets before. I’ll Crack on tomorrow.