• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

spike

Turbo Mi16 or Gti6. Maximum horsepower achievable?

spike

Hi Chaps. I've been asked by a friend who is building a Rallycross car to find out what is the most power he might achieve out of an iron block Mi16 or Gti6 engine with a turbo? 

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of someone who might have built a big power turbo Mi16/Gti6?

Thanks

Mike

welshpug

depends how big his budget is, one of the Doran DS3's has an xu based lump, as does the well known 306 (not sure who owns it these days!

basically enough to be very competitive if your budget is large enough.

spike

I think that's the issue. He doesn't have a massive budget but he wants 500 bhp!

I was thinking 350 might be relatively easy to achieve but after that it would be big bucks!

j_turnell

Would supercharging not provide a more suitable power delivery?

welshpug

if he's up against turbo cars, nope :lol:

with a rotrex kit from lynx some decent rods and pistons and a mappable ecu some have seen mid 400's with standard valvetrain, however you would be right on the limit given the rpm needed is over that of where the hydraulic tappets are reliable especially for competition use.

welshpug

what car is it in? if its fwd he needs to spend a lot on the gearbox first or he will be blowing them to bits.

spike

He's rebuilding Will Gollop's old 309 which originally had a 205 T16 type engine. It's 4 wheel drive and he has the original gearbox, so should be ok.

400 bhp on standard valve train sounds like it might be an option, was that on throttle bodies? It does need to be a Turbo though to keep it closer to what it was in period.

Edited by spike

welshpug

ahh I know the car, saw it at colin satchells workshop many years ago.

no that 400+ was on the shortened lynx 306 inlet manifold and standard 306 throttle body.

spike

Ok. Thanks for that.

allanallen

Lol and that guy who reckoned he’d made 1000bhp with some pigeon s*itted together turbo manifold :P

• Haha 1

welshpug

tbh you wpuld be best asking people in the rallycross paddock.

hansen motorsport or will gollop, a bit of googling i found that Gollop built the 306, george Tracey and ollie o'donovan latterly campaigned that.

they're all in the region of 550 to 600 bhp through a 45mm restrictor.

welshpug

seems they still use the XU10 engine in most applications, typically built by pipo and oreca, 2040cc so a 1st oversize bore.

big bucks world :lol: