• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lunatic

1.9 GTI MKII from Austria

Lunatic

Hello,

at first, sorry for my bad english, I'm from Austria and I promise, I'm trying as hard as I can. ;)

I've been a 106 GTi-driver for almost 8 years but then sold it because I was (and I am still) full into motorcycles.

About 3-4 months ago I found a black 205 GTI MKII wich was sitting in a barn for about 13-14 years. The price asked for it was  €1800 (about 1580 in your currency :P). I checked it out and saw that it had only done about 80.000km (49700 miles) but it didn't start (engine turned). When I had it at home my mates and I found out within an hour that the fuelpump wasn't working. Got a new one for about 45 pounds and the car startet.

From the first view it is in an awful condition but the there is no rust at all... not even tiny bits. Anyway I am going for a total respray of the car in its original black color. Apart from the respray I bought Konis with 30mm Eibach springs, a Simons exhaust system and a few other bits. My plan is to "restore" it in nearly original look. 

Finally I got my hands on a Gutmann-135-Kit wich contains: GMS1 camshaft (poorly it's in bad condition - one cam is not so well anymore), bigger downpipe with 400cells catalytic converter, air flow meter, ECU and airfilter. As the kits name says it shoult produce around 135hp.

Can anyone give me an advice on the camshaft? I want to repair it somehow. What possibilities do I have here? 

Is there anything "easy" to do, to get even more power out of the engine?

Thanks, and again... sorry for my english. If you don't understand something, let me know, maybe I can explain it with other words.

IMG_20170716_092422.jpg

IMG_20170806_193619.jpg

IMG_20170806_193629.jpg

cybernck

Hello and welcome!

The car appears to be in pretty good condition and won't require too much work in order to get it looking nice and original once again :).

I'm sure that some of our resident experts will be able to help you out with your other questions @welshpug @Tom Fenton

welshpug

I doubt it will be cost effective to repair the camshaft, a Camshaft from piper for example is around £200, the 270 is a "fastroad" camshaft said to give +20 bhp with an increase in compression, a little far fetched of a claim I think but nonetheless you should get to 135, given that's only 7 more than a standard D6B.

I guess it is a Motronic car from around 91-92? given it needs a catalytic converter.

Lunatic

It is a DKZ with cat (120hp). I want to repair the GMS1 camshaft to keep the Gutmann kit original. Apart from that the ECU delivered with the kit us mapped for this camshaft.

I am also missing a few parts of the aurfilter and the in_/exterior.