• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Gti6 sump on XU9J4 block

Andy

Title rather gives away the question really. The gti6 sump with its trapdoor obviously fits to the bolt pattern on the alloy block. My query is about the very significant flanges at the flywheel end of the gti6 sump that look as if they are designed to bolt to the lower extremity of the gearbox. So, can I drop this sump onto an alloy block, flanges and all and not encounter any problem when I attempt to bolt on the gearbox, or is the swap not quite that simple? I suppose that my question is equally relevant if I was using an xu10j4block ?

Thank you

welshpug

it'll bolt on no problem, however it will be too deep unless you dispense with the stiffening plate/spacer.

a gti6 does use additional fasteners into the gearbox but these present no foreseeable issues not being used, it was the only application is was implemented to my knowledge so far.

Andy

Thank you very much. 

Point taken about the spacer, unless I want to do a Petert and extend the oil pickup. 

Cheers. 

Andy

petert

The XU10J2, XU10J4 and XU10J4R sump doesn't have the flanges and are the same internally.

Anthony

Most of the XU10J4R engines I've seen here in Blighty have the same sump as a GTi6 (ie with the bulky wings/flanges).

The AC equipped XU7JP4 (1.8 16v) has a similar alloy sump to the earlier XU10's but the hole for the oil temp sensor isn't drilled and tapped (the casting is there)

Andy

Hi Peter. Yes. I have a tin Xu10j4 trapdoor sump but which walks onto the iron block. However, on the xu9 block, then the spacer is deleted , unless modifying the oil pick up. My thinking was that the alloy gti6 sump is much stiffer than the tin one and so might be a better bet on the xu9 block without the spacer , but I might be fussing over nothing . Clearly with an oil pickup extension, all the above becomes academic on the alloy block.

cheers.

Andy

petert

I meant A/C aluminium sumps. I think you're right about the R sump having wings too.