• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

eastlondonpug

Suspension for uneven roads - Jamaica

eastlondonpug

Dear Friends

I am moving to Jamaica. My car will be going with me.

Can someone please suggest me a soft suspension setup for the front and the back. The car also needs to be raised around 1.5-2 inches from standard. 

Please bear in mind that the car needs to have a soft setup and raised. Please suggest me some reasonably priced parts.

Thank you

welshpug

what is on there currently and how old is it?

Miles can supply new original height springs, these are not stiff at all, nothing like the ride of a big wheeled modern gti.

eastlondonpug

I have new KYB Ultra SRs on there (golden) front and back and lowered around 30mm. These are hard even on some potholed/rough roads in London. Not sure if normal springs and a reset of the rear beam would be the solution?

Thanks

Ozymandis

Diesel standard setup would raise it and be softer. We arent talking anything but comfort and ground clearance here. Thats what you will be needing up West around StAnnes, Negril, Savanna la Mar, Maroon Town etc. Our roads are generally fantastic, compared to many Jamaican ones. A standard GTI on anything but the A1 and some bits of the A2 will be too low and too hard.        https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k4104197-o10-Driving_in_Jamaica_a_primer-Jamaica.html

eastlondonpug

Thank you Jay. Exactly what I am looking for. Any pointers towards part numbers or sources?

cybernck

I can't imagine that asphalt-surfaced roads can be THAT bad... but it probably depends on what you're used to to begin with :lol:. However, if those roads are indeed too much for a standard 205 GTI to handle then perhaps a completely different type of car would be a better idea :ph34r:.

Standard shocks and springs (and a healthy rear beam) will make for quite a bit of difference as compared to lowered and hardened suspension setup, as the suspension will actually be doing something. Having said that, my 205 Mi32 with 4x GAZ GHA coilovers, lowered and with 300 lb springs and 205/40/17" tyres feels quite comfortable to me. Much better than my old standard GTI with Koni shocks and lowering springs.

Ozymandis

I drove my friends battered Toyota hi ace around, and I wouldnt want to do it every day in a messed about with GTI. Is it a toy or real transport you want it for?

Ozymandis

eastlondonpug

Jay, the car is a toy. I am moving for a good few years with no place to store the car. I dont really want to part with car as both money and time has been spent on the car.