• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Kambo

205 V6 Owners Or Drivers - Owned/driven Other Front Heavy Fwd?

ade 4wd

Yes i do make up conversion looms. If you need any wiring diagrams or help with wiring let me know.

Kambo

Yes i do make up conversion looms. If you need any wiring diagrams or help with wiring let me know.

That's a great help, thank you

BERTMAN

I've driven one, the sound and torque is immense... the biggest pain I found was the lack of RH lock and the steering was crazy heavy!

allye

The power plant is a gem, extremely understressed, sounds wonderful, as mentioned does decent MPG in a light car, gearbox is properly strong and cheap to buy.

I had a 309 Goodwold with one for a while, although I didnt build it I almost rebuilt it. Torque is just silly, I could and did a few times pull off in 5th! 0-155 in one gear anyone?

Its would bang into the limiter in 5th at a alarming rate. There is a couple different ratio boxes out there so make sure you get what you want. Fits in a 309 quite well as miles said. I squeezed in two slim lines as big as I could and stayed cool fine on a 406 radiator, I built a proper hydraulic clutch system and it was great.

dcc

The v6 which I had bought from Daz (TessTuff) on here was a great car. The problem I had was it was simply too fast for a 205.

The engine gives lovely linear power, and with decent suspension handles well, but I didn't find it as fun as wringing the neck of my 1900.

In the end it was too dangerous for me to drive it while trying to have fun and enjoy the car for what it was meant to be (i.e. you end up breaking the speed limit very easily); so I sold it.

You'll struggle to beat any car with a revvy engine for shear fun.

Goliath

Everyone is different, so there will never be a resounding common ground on these V6 engine swaps. For me it is great - I echo Welshpugs comments.

For my driving style it is perfect as a road car, or even track car (if the purpose of the track day is to have fun), however it would be pointless as a competition car.

You can quite easily notice the extra weight when driving, I personally don't find it a problem, but I also tend to drive within 'sensible' limits on the road so it would never become an issue for me.

I disagree with Dan above - it's not too fast, definitely looking forward to getting some more power out of mine! But then I've never yet had a car with 'too much' power, even my 560bhp SL55 soon felt slow after I got used to the power.

My main advice would be to not try and do it on the cheap, you don't have to spend a fortune, but getting some things made is so much easier. The main one I can think of is the loom - definitely get one of Ade's looms, I forget how much they cost but easily worth it. A very neat solution (with upgrades like the ECU in the correct place) and just plug and play and it works. Get an unlocked ECU off him while you are at it.

Let us know if you need any help, also you are more then welcome to have a ride in mine if you are ever over Bristol way.

Kambo

My main advice would be to not try and do it on the cheap, you don't have to spend a fortune, but getting some things made is so much easier. The main one I can think of is the loom - definitely get one of Ade's looms, I forget how much they cost but easily worth it. A very neat solution (with upgrades like the ECU in the correct place) and just plug and play and it works. Get an unlocked ECU off him while you are at it.

Let us know if you need any help, also you are more then welcome to have a ride in mine if you are ever over Bristol way.

Thats helpful George, thanks

Yeah I think it suits my driving style as well. I will definitely need one of Ade's looms, the only thing I have trouble with on cars is electrics, I still don't understand it :unsure:

Just a quick question, do you run cats on yours? as 205 year won't need them but the 406 engine year does?

I should hopefully be picking up some bits n bob this weekend for the swap so just pulling the 1.9 out at the moment

Goliath

No I don't run a Cat. General advice online suggests that if you engine swap a car then the MOT emissions will be based on whatever is older, the car or the engine.

My mot tester explained to me that actually if you engine swap a car for an engine that is not available from the factory then he can only do a basic emissions test.

Oh and do a hydraulic clutch all the way, theres a guide on how to build the pedal box end on Thirdtimelucky's thread.

Also I've updated all the picture links in my thread so should be visible now.

Kambo
7 hours ago, Goliath said:

No I don't run a Cat. General advice online suggests that if you engine swap a car then the MOT emissions will be based on whatever is older, the car or the engine.

My mot tester explained to me that actually if you engine swap a car for an engine that is not available from the factory then he can only do a basic emissions test.

Oh and do a hydraulic clutch all the way, theres a guide on how to build the pedal box end on Thirdtimelucky's thread.

Also I've updated all the picture links in my thread so should be visible now.

Much appreciated mate, thank you

I understand you went on the Retro run, the year I didn't go! would've been good to get an early lookover as I'm used to seeing lemmingzappas and Sam H's ones out there B)

Yeah I saw your thread yesterday randomly and saw you've bought a premises now, will check out Thirdtimes again for the clutch info

Thanks

Goliath

Yes I went on Retrorun in 2013, the last year they did it sadly. I've not been back to 'ring again since so am looking to go next year.

I made a short video of the trip 

https://youtu.be/fl1-2McVPqY

Hilgie

I just missed this topic. But my two cents for everyone who thinks it is nose-heavy: have you guys ever seen or driven any Audi ? They ALL (except the small models) have the whole lump hanging in front of the front axle.... and I have never heard anyone complain about nose-heavyness on those. :o

allye

You’ve never heard anyone call an Audi nose heavy? Have you never watched or read a single Audi review!

Batfink

I own an Audi A4 and its most certainly nose heavy.  Its rather good at high speed cruising through Europe but its rubbish at tighter roads.

Hilgie
On 2/14/2018 at 11:40 PM, allye said:

You’ve never heard anyone call an Audi nose heavy? Have you never watched or read a single Audi review!

LOL dutch magazines only rave about every Audi coming up, so anything negative is just filtered out I guess. Good to hear there are some real car lovers here who love tight steering cars :)

SootySport

I like everything tight, just can't stand sloppiness.B)