• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Anthony

Rivnut Tools - Which Type To Buy

Anthony

Like many 205's, various holes for self-tappers into metalwork (like the speakers and pockets in the doors) have been mauled by previous owners so that nothing tightens up properly anymore. Given that some of them have already had larger diameter screws used in the past, the easiest solution to sort it out properly is to stick some rivnuts in - I guess M4 for smaller threads like door pockets and M5 for larger threads like speakers should suffice.

In the past I've used a bolt, nut and washer as a crude puller, but that's a bit of a faff and given that I'll be doing a fair number I'll just buy a proper tool for the job. More tools are a good thing after all. The question is, which type of rivnut tool works best as there seems to be two main types aimed at the occasional use DIY'er like me?

One handed pistol type, like the Sealey AK393. Seems to be by far the most common type.

Two armed puller type, like the Sealey AK3984

And lastly, there's also what looks like a posh version of what I've done in the past, like this one on eBay. For the moment I'm discounting this one though, as it doesn't do multiple sizes and looks questionable value when it doesn't look much better than what I've done in the past with odd bits in the garage

In theory the two armed puller type looks like the best one, particularly if I wanted to use larger rivnuts (eg M8) in future, but looks quite large and unwieldy for the sort of restricted access in-situ repair you tend to end up doing at times. The pistol type doesn't look like it would easily do larger rivnuts (most only seem to come with M6 as the largest size) but more than good enough for my intended usage in the short term and would be easier to use on in-situ repairs where access is limited.

Anyone got any recommendations of which type to buy as I'm sure quite a few of you will have used or own one or both of the main types above?

Tom Fenton

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=73638&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoPulvYTc1gIV5ArTCh0irQ1VEAQYBCABEgLQufD_BwE

/End thread

:D

Don't buy steel rivnuts, they are a bastard to set and ally ones should be good enough for anything you are using a rivnut to install.

• Like 2

Anthony

Thanks Tom - looks pretty good that, and if it's good enough for you, I'm pretty sure that it'll be good enough for lil' old me :)

Point noted about the rivnuts themselves - pretty sure I've only used steel ones in the past, which might be why I found it so much of a faff setting them using a crude nut and bolt puller. Ali and a proper tool should be a revelation I'd say!

Tom Fenton

Eclipse are a quality brand of tools. I've got the same as that albeit in a blow moulded plastic case, and it cost me substantially more than that.

Josh_Quant

None of the links are working for me but wurth do a proper decent type that I would highly recommend but cost a bit

Miles

Got the Wurth one too which is spot on, It does come with loads of size's thou which you may not use which all add's to the cost

allanallen

I've got the two armed sealey one, perhaps not quite as easy to get in some places than the one handed ones, then again it's probably better in some places. It does m8 steel rivnuts with ease, decent quality thing.

If it's just light duty stuff I'd go with toms recommendation, I needed sturdy m8 steel rivnuts to mount the heater and dash in my rally car and the two armed one was mega.

Tom Fenton

I've done m8 steel with mine, so it will do them. But my point was more, unless you really need them, the ally ones are 100 times easier to use!

allanallen

To be fair I thought you'd use stainless ones on your armada Tom :P

Tom Fenton

To be fair I thought you'd use stainless ones on your armada Tom :P

My tool won't do them else I would :P