• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MadeinWigan

Clutch Release Problem

MadeinWigan

My car was laid up for a good few years, it drives but feels like the clutch doesn't fully release. It will slip if you try to accelerate hard and in first you can bring it to a stop without stalling.

I am going to change the clutch but are there any other components that I should replace/clean/lubricate at the same time so that everything performs as it should?

Thanks

welshpug

BE1 or BE3 ? could be seized clutch release associated parts, or badly adjusted.

jimmi

Can't find my Haynes workshop manual - BE1 gearbox clutch quadrant arm/lever - 22mm bolt/nut on front of bell-housing - can this be removed without disturbing any components inside box /bell-housing ?

welshpug

yes, that's the pivot most likely to be seized, often people forget the 3mm thick spacer between the bushes and the casing, meaning the bolt tightens down and jams is all up.

ORB

Interestingly I am having a similar issue with my GTI-6 engined car.

Sometimes when I gun it it slips. I am confident the clutch is on as I put a new one I. When I built it.

Im running a BE3 (1.9) - Im assuming its maladjusted?

Anthony

BE3 doesn't suffer the same seized quadrant issue as BE1's.

Check that the cable is adjusted properly - if it's over-tight that could cause it to slip and will certainly do the release bearing and cover plate no favours - and that there's no contamination from oil or coolant leaks onto the friction plate.