• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AaronMountford1990

Drivers' Cars: 205 Other 1.8 D (1994) By Aaronmountford1990

AaronMountford1990

Name: 205 Other 1.8 D (1994)

Date Added: 16 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

Owner: AaronMountford1990

Short Description: L Reg Peugeot 205 STDT, keeping it standard!

View Vehicle

AaronMountford1990

So update on this, as I've still no log book for the car (the owners father thought he could send off the log book without my signature, so i only have the new keepers supp), i'm in the process of filling in a request for new log book, a SORN while it's being sheltered until summer - where work shall begin on both this and my Mk1 Fabia VRS, and a request for vehicle history.

Received no service history with the car - or any history of any kind to be fair, so this should allow me to receive copies of all of the original log books and, if it's approved, give history of the number plate which SHOULD trace back to the original Peugeot dealer who registered the car! That way i can try and find any record of initial service history direct from the original dealership who first sold the car!

The car is currently sat in the garage with dehumidifiers in all 4 corners to try and remove any possible moisture - as i undid the sunroof clip and water came in :blink:

I've began stripping the dash down to remove the wiring for the sony CD changer and stalk that is in the car, alongside the aftermarket alarm system that seems to be wired EVERYWHERE - there's that many spliced cables i cant even get the battery cables back over the battery - it's to snug to fit! so new cables for the battery i'm thinking as a first point of call (as they are missing insulation and the multi strand wire is fraying). Once that's sorted i'll need to either rework or find replacement parts for the interior as most of the screw fixing points are missing/snapped from the dash - door card pockets also.

Gearbox also feels like it's stirring soup, hopefully a new change of oil and a quick test drive once it's fired will alleviate anything there. But before that it needs to have it's compression checked to verify that it will fire and it's not siezed - i've got the oil, the battery has been recovered (it was down one cell and didnt then have enough charge to start the car) - i've just got to drain the old fuel and put fresh in then change the coolant, if the engine fires then it's time for a full service and a timing belt change.

A lot of work to do but i'm hoping it'l be worth it in the end! :D

jackherer

The gearbox itself is probably fine, an oil change is always a good idea if you don't know the history but the looseness you're feeling will almost certainly be due to loose or worn linkages, usually where the pivot and ball joint attach to the subframe.

AaronMountford1990

The gearbox itself is probably fine, an oil change is always a good idea if you don't know the history but the looseness you're feeling will almost certainly be due to loose or worn linkages, usually where the pivot and ball joint attach to the subframe.

Well thats good to know. Are they difficult to replace? It hasnt started to my knowledge since 2012, so i dont want to run the risk of anything failing so i'm trying to guarantee it starting as much as possible by changing the oil for a few litres of new (just to run it with then flush again), new coolant, fuel etc. if it runs then complete service and timing belt i think would need doing as a minimum, try and see if anything on the brakes need doing but other than that i'm at a loss for what else to actually check and/or replace/repair?

jackherer

The gear linkages are very easy to replace, you might just need to tighten a couple of nuts and bolts on the subframe though.

I would inspect the timing belt, tensioners and water pump before trying to start it and preferably replace the belt even if it looks OK.

The brakes will need new fluid ideally, the first thing to do is clean up and attempt to undo the bleed nipples. If you can undo all of them without shearing any it'll be quite easy to change the fluid.

AaronMountford1990

The gear linkages are very easy to replace, you might just need to tighten a couple of nuts and bolts on the subframe though.

I would inspect the timing belt, tensioners and water pump before trying to start it and preferably replace the belt even if it looks OK.

The brakes will need new fluid ideally, the first thing to do is clean up and attempt to undo the bleed nipples. If you can undo all of them without shearing any it'll be quite easy to change the fluid.

That sounds simple enough, dont suppose theres a guide anywhere?

I was thinking about replacing the timing belt first before trying to start it, but if the engine is siezed its a pointless job isnt it? as if theres any rework needed it'l need to be stripped down again?

Brakes wise, is it just dot4 i'll need? It's got copper brake pipes hasnt it? Any advice for undoing them without shearing?

jackherer

I don't know where there is a guide to repairing the gear linkages, there are probably many threads on the subject. There is a guide to fitting a quickshift which covers everything you need to know though - http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles.html/_/articles-guides/gearbox-drivetrain/fitting-a-quick-shift-kit-r58

You can turn the engine over with a spanner on the crank pulley bolt to check it isn't seized.

DOT4 is fine, the brake pipes were originally steel but are often replaced with copper when they corrode. They should undo easily as long as you clean the dirt and corrosion off of the pipe before winding the nut over it. The bleed nipples are more likely to be an issue, again clean them up to remove corrosion and dirt then hope for the best when undoing them, don't be too surprised if one or more do shear off.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this