• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

MadeinWigan

205 1.6 Gti Throttle Body Spring

MadeinWigan

I have bought a 91 1.6 Gti as a non runner. Part of the problem is that the accelerator cable has been changed but I think that the spring on the throttle body has been messed with or is the wrong one.

From looking in the Haynes manual and online it seems like the end of the spring should stick through the hole on the accelerator bracket, whereas mine seems to hook round the back.

DFF257B4-21A6-4799-B8F6-BC2C9401D364.jpg

C8515431-6205-4564-8104-5E1F218226B4.jpg

C2A549CD-4BDD-4388-9527-47D227D55112.jpg

25F95C46-789A-47CD-BFB6-E55DEFBCFCE8.jpg

toolie72

Has somebody fitted the plastic pulley 180 degrees out, then "made" everything else fit?

Might be worth a check

The spring looks original-just ahem modified

hoodygoodwood

Yes that spring has been modified .

You have another problem , the rubber pipe with the 2 large Jubilee clips that joins the AFM to the throttle body is obviously non standard , the original has 2 ports to which hoses should be connected , where are the 2 hoses ? Look on Ebay for a K+N 57i kit , sometimes the adaptor comes up separately .

Its very important to get all the 'oil vapour' hoses connected correctly or you will have running issues , try and find a decent picture of where every hose goes and check yours .

Miles

You can have them set up like that, No SAD and a catch tank, saves all the engine gunk being sucked back in, But the top one need's blanking off as well.

Every thing is date stamped so easy to know if it has been replaced but it should be more like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-205-GTI-THROTTLE-BODY-/361609297949?hash=item543198001d:g:eGYAAOSweWVXdB5F

MadeinWigan

Thanks for the info, I'll have a go at reworking the spring.

The car has a ramair filter fitted, all of the standard piping had been junked. Does that explain the rubber hose? There is a breather hose with a small filter on the end of it. The engine runs and revs cleanly but I haven't driven the car to see how it runs under load.

MadeinWigan

I straightened the spring out and refitted everything and I can now drive the car. Fells good, quite a bit livelier than my Roland Garros.

I think I need a new spring for piece of mind because it wasn't returning to idle consistently after lifting off, sometimes it would sit at 2-3k revs.

Is the spring available separately?

DE36DE07-CB3C-4D15-90B2-349C2FBDCFAF_1.j

4DAE43CF-934B-4055-83BE-95409E94DCE7.jpg

farmer

Yes, the spring was avalible separately, but no longer supplied by Peugeot

Seen a few new on eBay.

I keep some new stock as well.

Edited by farmer

MadeinWigan

Ah, that's good. How much would they be from you?

Anthony

I think I need a new spring for piece of mind because it wasn't returning to idle consistently after lifting off, sometimes it would sit at 2-3k revs.

Have you fitted and adjusted the throttle cable properly since the first picture? The plastic part of the cable is meant to sit inside that rubber part with a little metal clip to adjust it to the correct position.

In the picture it's completely wrong and chances are that the cable is too tight sitting like that, which would potentially prevent the throttle returning fully and lead to a high idle speed.

MadeinWigan

Cheers Farmer, I'll keep it in mind.

Anthony, I made sure that I put the plastic part into the rubber part but I didn't understand the significance of the clip so didn't do anything with it.

welshpug

it should look like the haynes diagram yiu posted (the throttle cable end fitting)

barneys66

Does the spring need to be wound up..?