• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petert

266mm Hdi Upgrade For 1.9l

petert

Hi all,

I know this has been explained before, but it's not very clear for my simple mind.

I've just purchased some late model 306 HDi carriers/calipers/discs etc. from a wreck.

Does the whole HDi assembly replace the 1.9L assembly?

Or do I have to mix and match hubs and yokes?

And finally, will they fit with 14" GTi wheels?

Thanks guys.

Edited by petert

Guest TB_205GTI

They will fit the 14" inch wheels. The yokes line up perfectly with the bolts in the hub. No too sure about the offset though. I have some HDi calipers and extra yokes laying around, but nothing fits my 1.6 hubs :)

pug_ham

You need to get the hubs from a lower model 205 than the GTi, any basic model hubs are what you require.

I got a set for my car last week & sourced a set of 266mm disc, pads, calipers & yokes from a local scrapyard for £50 and they are from an 03 registered car. (Brand new)

Collecting them tomorrow. :D

Graham.:)

Guest TB_205GTI
You need to get the hubs from a lower model 205 than the GTi, any basic model hubs are what you require.

I got a set for my car last week & sourced a set of 266mm disc, pads, calipers & yokes from a local scrapyard for £50 and they are from an 03 registered car. (Brand new)

Collecting them tomorrow. :D

Graham.:)

Do you need the entire hub, or can you reuse the inner part of the GTI 1.6?

pug_ham
Do you need the entire hub, or can you reuse the inner part of the GTI 1.6?

You'll need at least the driveflange that goes through the centre of the bearing & connects with the driveshaft, these are the parts which cause the change in wheel offset from looking at the parts CD.

I'm guessing that is what you mean by the inner part of the 1.6 GTi hub (Driveflange), which is the only thing you'll need to change to make the disc & calipers match up apart from a possible master cylinder swap for the greater capacity but I intend to find out what size m/c the 206 HDi has fitted to se if an upgrade is really needed.

Graham.<_<

Guest TB_205GTI

If I need to change the driveflange, then I will not be able to use my 1.6 driveshafts anymore d;(

What about machining the current driveflanges?

Guest Antoni1.9

I have got 306 HDI calipers, yokes and discs on my 1.9 gti - no problems at all - straight bolt on - too much pedal travel though -need to fit a 406 master cylinder.

If you are near Stratford, then come adn have a look if you want.

HTH

Antoni

sleeper205

what are yokes?

is this a mis-translation into english? <_<

pug_ham

Yokes are the bit which the caliper is attached to that stays on the hub when you change the disc pads due to the design of the caliper which is different to the Bendix fitted to the 1.6 GTi.

The driveflanges from the base model 205's have the same size hub shaft as the 1.6 GTi so they will fit straight on.

If this fit's straight on to the 1.9 hubs then I won't have to change them again when I fit the 1.9 GTi engine, hubs & driveshafts. :)

Graham.<_<

Guest TB_205GTI
Yokes are the bit which the caliper is attached to that stays on the hub when you change the disc pads due to the design of the caliper which is different to the Bendix fitted to the 1.6 GTi.

The driveflanges from the base model 205's have the same size hub shaft as the 1.6 GTi so they will fit straight on.

If this fit's straight on to the 1.9 hubs then I won't have to change them again when I fit the 1.9 GTi engine, hubs & driveshafts. :)

Graham.<_<

Let me just get this crystal clear.. (I'm Danish..)

What you say is that I can use the basemodels driveflange and still use my 1.6 driveshafts?

I have recently renewed both front wheel bearings and righthand driveshaft. I would rather not buy new driveshafts (If I have to, then I'll be 1.9 ones) and bearings.

pug_ham
What you say is that I can use the basemodels driveflange and still use my 1.6 driveshafts?

Yes AFAIK.

Graham.<_<

petert

Thanks guys,

I've 1.6, 1.9 and 306 sets of everything now. I'll let you know how it goes after Christmas.

pug_ham

I've had to take my 206 HDi set up back, they were only 247mm when I got them on the bench to fit them to the hubs so I'm hoping to source some from a 306 HDi instead. The latest 306's & 206's have the same discs AFAIK & I guess the same calipers but I need to find one that has one to check.

I think this nust have been an error from the factory because the brake catalogues I've seen all say the 206 HDi should have 266mm discs.

Graham.<_<

petert

Well I finally got the brakes fitted, but not without some dramas. The 2000 306 HDi discs are 266mm and the calipers are Lucent. They fitted the 1.9L hubs/carriers no probs. The only drama I had was fitting 14" wheels. With new pads, they don't fit. I had to make 3mm wheel spacers AND debur the inside of the wheel to remove casting marks. Some wheels are better than others.

Someone mentioned the HDi calipers were the same as GTi6. The EBC cataloque shows a different shape pad and a different part number for the GTi6 pads, for both new and old models.

I also thought I'd fit 309 wishbones at the same time. I also had some BX16V driveshafts. There is no way the two will fit together. Luckily a friend had some adj. wishbones, which saved the day.

Hope this helps someone else.

petert

Sorry, Lucas calipers not Lucent.

pug_ham

The 266mm discs are for a different offset hub to the 1.9 GTi hub, the calipers will fit straight on but the discs will be sat at a different spacing, only the GTi6 calipers & discs will bolt straight on to the 1.9 GTi hubs..

The 1.6 alloys will sit further into the hub because of this, the 1.6 has the widest front trackwidth as standard of the 205's AFAIK.

The Hdi calipers won't be the same as the Gti6 ones because the HDi only uses 266mm discs where the GTi6 has 283mm ones that won't fit under the 14' rims.

309 driveshafts are needed not BX driveshafts because the front track width on the BX is wider than the 309 AFAIK.

petert

I compared the 306 hubs to the 1.9L 205 hubs. The only difference I could find was the 18mm ball joint pin vrs. the 16mm on the 205. They were otherwise identical, thus the disc offset must be the same?

RossD

When I upgraded my 306 to 266mm spec brakes, I hunted around for ages to find calipers. It seems there are lots of Pug/Cits with 266m discs but all with different calipers. In the end, I found a Citroen Berlingo in a scrappy. Looking at the parts catalogues, this shares its calipers/pads with the Cit Xsara 1.8 16V and the high end 306 estates. Also the Phase 2 306 XSi.

Then I found a GTi6. The calipers looked identical, the only difference I could see were the yokes, which obviosly spaced the caliper out for the bigger discs and the pads. They (the pads) were the same basic shape but bigger. The numbers on the calipers (LUCAS) were different, BUT all the measurements were the same.

The moral of this story is, if you are going for a 266mm upgrade on the 205, its not only the HDi stuff that fits. The latest 206 and 306 calipers were made by Bosch, but any stuff will fit, from Phase 1 306 XSi (tiny pad area, same as 405 setup so crap) all the way thru to the Citroen Xsara/Berlingo/306 estate. (Same disc area but huge pads in comparison)

Ross

pug_ham

AFAIK the phase 1 306 XSi has 247mm discs.

I compared the 306 hubs to the 1.9L 205 hubs. The only difference I could find was the 18mm ball joint pin vrs. the 16mm on the 205. They were otherwise identical, thus the disc offset must be the same?

Not necessarily, the offset is built into the driveflange so it will be almost impossible to tell, what 306 were the hubs from?

For a full brake disc guide have a look at Brakeworld for full application lists for the 266mm brakes & sizes fitted to other models in the 306, Xsara range.

Graham.:lol:

DrSeuss

So there is no straight swap for the 1.6? I take it the problem is all in the disc offset? What would the correct offset be? (might be some as standard that would fit).

RossD
AFAIK the phase 1 306 XSi has 247mm discs

No, it had 266mm discs. Peugeot CD and neighbours car confirms this! :lol:

Ross

pug_ham
No, it had 266mm discs. Peugeot CD and neighbours car confirms this! :D

Ross

excellent, my local scrapyard has a 306XSi in so I'll go check on Monday.

The brakeworld site says otherwise though.

Graham.:rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this