• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

Diesel Fuel In A Petrol Car

dobboy

Here is the culprit of the car not starting, it may be slightly exaggerated, but not by much. (new chain laid on old)

14jqc9h.jpg

I'm wondering how this could have happened, with the mini's the box/gearstick changes are quite close, so i'm thinking maybe someone's went from 6th to 2nd? or just gradually stretched over time to the point it wouldn't run?

The car still never ran quite right with the chain done, so I spoke to a local mech and he asked about the spark plugs, he said he's had bother in the past with fancy plugs that have had lot's of non starts clocked up on them, so I swapped them for another set and bingo! it's running the way it should, and the engine sounds very good.

i'm still bamboozled with how link markings lined up with marks on sprockets, don't return to these marks after the engine has been turned over two full rotations on the crank, yet can still be in time

I'm now waiting on 12 (good used) cam cover bolts coming tomorrow, BMW wanted £61 for 12No. 6mm bolts with a fancy collar on them, robbing b$stards.

Changed an exhaust gasket last night, cleaned the air filter, and it's now back on all fours, and the interior is now all cleaned out. The back was a shambles, monster munch, skips, haribo's, McD's papers etc etc..... obviously an infant has been strapped in the back.

Also, done the engine bay with "GUNK" and power washed it, seems a very good and cheap product (£10 delivered), however my driveway is a shambles with oil marks.

Trying to get a bonnet for it in correct colour as it has what looks like a golf ball mark near N/S light, and then i'll think about getting the exterior looking well. (bonnet is popped in the pics)

15373gp.jpg

140glzk.jpg

dzxa8m.jpg

So far I've spent £210 total, of which £90ish was on BMW tools, £40 on fresh fuel, £20ish on spark plugs, half a tub of Gunk, and some Revive dressing.

Might be another £70 servicing it, and £40 on an MOT, I can't see it needing much if anything to pass, we'll see.

Anyone any ideas how to get rid of 20ish ltrs of dodgy petrol?

welshpug

stick it in the 205 :lol:

or use it for degreasing

dobboy

stick it in the 205 :lol:

or use it for degreasing

A layby it is, in England obviously! ????

Anthony

Is the fuel actually bad then? I know you suspected it, but I thought it didn't run even with fresh fuel and you discovered the timing chain was stretched?

dobboy

Is the fuel actually bad then? I know you suspected it, but I thought it didn't run even with fresh fuel and you discovered the timing chain was stretched?

Yeah the chain was the issue, or the main one of a combination.

I'm not sure and i'm not wanting to put it in. It's a totally different colour from new fuel, and it burns funny. Doesn't seem to smell as potent as new petrol either. Might be a mixture of petrol and something, maybe diesel, who knows.

toolie72

Some hooded youf might have peed in the petrol tank

dobboy

My cam cover bolts arrived today and i buttoned it up and took it for a spin.

Car is very good, no bumps, lumps, or knocks, wooo hooo.

However, there's a blow coming from the exhaust near the gearstick (possibly from the deCat pipe), and the drivers side front caliper is sticking/goosed.

I took the dodgy caliper off and the piston seems seized solid in the out position, but seals etc all look good.

(I've got two brand new calipers at hand, but i was trying to keep them for my other mini if possible.)

Can someone tell me what i can do to try free the piston off? (i tried a batton of wood and rattling it with a hammer with no joy)

welshpug

peel the dust cover back and clean the piston, pump it out a bit then lube it and see if it will push back in with a g-clamp.

dobboy

Tried cleaning it and lubed it, no joy.

Got one at the local scrappies and fitted it.

Thanks anyway WP

dobboy

I've had the mini out this morning and two warning lights are on the dash, Runflat light and ABS. Checked tyre pressures and they were all over the shop, so filled accordingly, another quick spin and warning lights are back.

Plugged code reader in and there's no codes.

I believe the ABS and Runflat share the same wheel speed sensor.

Anyone know how I go about narrowing the offender(s) down?

TIA