• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Bakes100

'speedi-Sleeve' Crank Shaft Seal

Bakes100

Hi,

I am currently replacing my gbox end crank seal which is leaking between the seal and the crank, there is a groove in the seal surface & also a slight scratch where someone has removed a previous seal. I am looking to fit a 'Speedi Sleeve' made by SKF. This is basically a hardened stainless steel sleeve that is fitted over the crank to provide a fresh smooth surface for the seal.

Has anyone had any experience with these? Is it worth doing? I'm worried the sleeve may spin the seal if it is too tight.

Thanks

Stuart

Tom Fenton

I've used Speedi sleeves at work on industrial gearboxes. Work well but I doubt you will get one to fit on what is a very short bit of shaft at the end of the crank. They are more suited to longer length surfaces and lower speeds and more crucially constant speeds not varying as much and as quickly as an engine.

To be honest you are probably better trying to dress the face with emery or a stone and fit a new seal. The lip seals will work over quite a wide diameter tolerance.

Rippthrough

I've used them on diffs for the racers with no issues, in fact I've just fitted one to an input takeoff...

MarkShaftRepair.jpg

Edited by Rippthrough
  • Like 1