• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

boldy205

Red Top Pumps,

boldy205

I'm currently trying to make a list up of parts needed for a swirl pot conversion on my 205. I'd like to know what people use for a lift pump to supply the swirl pot. I was told that a Facet red top pump would need to be gravity fed. Am I correct in thinking they came in both a pull type, or push type?

Thanks in advance!

welshpug

usually just the standard bosch intank pump, its there, not broken, works well, flows enough for high 200's when in good fettle (i.e not 25-30 years old)

Miles

I tend to keep the OE tank pump, overboard yes but it's reliable, Had no end of issues with those red top's, all the fuel returns to the tank is my thinking

boldy205

Hmm might well save a few quid, just like the idea of everything new! Shame as I didn't think they were unreliable. I had one for years fueling my carbs.

Miles

had a few fail, but I guess they had been standing a year or 2, plus getting the fuel sometimes as it was under bonnet mounted was a pain, but nice and simple keeping the OE pump, less external fuel parts is always a good thing

boldy205

This is something I was questioning, are there puller and pusher versions of these pumps? I'm sure there were years ago?

petert

Keep the original as a lift pump and put the money into a decent pressure pump. I recently got caught out, thinking I'd use an Mi16 Bosch replacement pump as the pressure pump. It didn't flow as well as the 205 pump. So I then thought I'd buy a Bosch 044. Isn't that a minefield! The market is flooded with very good Chinese copies. After a few returns I found a good one.

GilesW

The facet red top is a 'push' pump only (as are most fuel pumps).

Their efficiency drops sharply away the more work they have to do to pull the fuel to them.

Therefore they should be mounted as close to the take as possible and preferably not much higher than the tank.

Search the web as there is the specs out there.

I've always used a red top.as a.lift pump as its volume you want not pressure, but the theoretical benefits/downside are not really real world problems for our level of things. So if you dont have a lift pump yet then I'd just use the oe hp one.

boldy205

Thanks for the ideas, i do think that my standard pump (a new pattern part) is slightly sub standard, therefore i want a new pump. After a chat to Moss, they can supply a red top that is suited to my requirements of filling the pot, so happy days. Also means I can make up a whole fuel system with An- fittings.

Cheers

Matt