• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

miamibungers

Bungers' 205 Stdt

miamibungers

Thought I'd start a thread to keep progress of the old shed! The GTI has been semi retired to the occasional sunny day jaunt but hasn't really been used for circa 2 years and as I'd liked the idea of having a 205 I can use as an occasional daily (do ~450 miles a week hence the occasional!) I thought this would be perfect.

I picked it up off the bay in this state - a 2 owner steel grey example with 126,000 on the clock. It hasn't been used for 2 years and only done 30 miles since its last MOT - pics from the ad:

IMG_0018.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BaYYy85SUy0d

IMG_0019.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=Be%2FMWo0UJE

IMG_0020.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=Bam1FkmzhdSI

IMG_0021.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BQYUjqOAQ1v%

IMG_0022.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BVVxLRyFaJ%2

IMG_0023.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BbrjhpuEGVCr

She arrived at mine in slightly worse state though, with the front tow eye pulled off the mount damaging the front valance, the rear tow eye bent bending the rear valance and a large dent on the NS of the tailgate :-(

IMG_0004.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BdTjRty5BIuf

IMG_0007.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BSf%2B6CfBui

IMG_0010.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BRgeKIq89hWL

First things I did were to jack it up to inspect the body, which I can report is all good bar some light rust in the inner wings. Removed the chrome trim strips in preparation for painting red:

IMG_0008.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BcNkLRpq4Bzd

Gave it a wash and quick going over with a mop, debadged it and stuck a spare set of 1.9 alloys on:

IMG_0011.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BQ4cYL0%2BIr

Sanded, etch primered and painted (in Cherry Red (92)) the trims. Are they the highest suspensioned 205? :lol: :lol: :

IMG_0009.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BaV45Oi33oJX​

IMG_0012.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BaSAZ4HstIki

I then set about getting it running, trying to sort all the niggles and after much research start the plan of upgrading the power. I eventually got it running after replacing the battery, fuel filter/primer and injector return pipes. Have also replaced the remote fob batteries, boot lock solenoid & OS indicator.

Since then I have been looking into intercooling so I can up the fuelling & boost. I could go down the 1.9 xud route but I'm not skilled enough to do engine swaps so looked at alternatives. I found that the Rover 218 & 418 td used the same engine but came out of the factory with an intercooler setup and luckily manged to find a chap selling the inlet manifold and manifold cover which will allow me to add an intercooler. This is the standard Rover setup:

IMG_0017.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BcDhfVoqWbNg

The parts arrived and I set about cleaning them up:

IMG_0014.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=Ban4hVwwkjI5

The Rover inlet manifold doesn't have the bracket to attach the vac pump to so that's currently with a welding company having the bracket removed from the STDT manifold and welded on to the Rover manifold.

Rover:

IMG_0029.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BVvdmrjMrjTe

Peugeot:

IMG_0028.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BUdcN7iY0qPZ​

The radiator was shot, so I managed to track down a brand new Ordonez TD rad and used some strips of stainless to drop the radiator ready for wedging in an intercooler. The plan is to have a top feed bar and plate intercooler and this and a fitting kit is being delivered this week along with some radiator hose to extend the top and bottom rad hoses:

IMG_0024.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BbWW3rdMMDrz

IMG_0026.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BTMfQohCgQU3

s-l500.jpg​

Once this is all in I plan on getting it fully serviced and all the belts replaced as they are looking very tired! Hopefully wont need much for the MOT but expect a couple of issues on such an old thing.

j_turnell

Nice project, reminds me very much of my stdt although I went down the gti-6 route. Any plans to ditch the beige?

miamibungers

Cheers, I would ditch the beige as it's not exactly 'nice' but long gone are the days of being able to pick up a full gti interior for peanuts so I'll probably just learn to live with it unless I stumble across a suitable donor car. It's all the bits other than the seats that'll be difficult to find I think.

JamPug

The paintwork looks really nice with all the grime removed ! Nice one :)

miamibungers

Cheers, I'm no good at polishing so in real life it doesn't look as nice but certainly better than it was. The bonnet and roof were really bad and the lacquer is still quite bad on the roof as all the late ones are but after a few coats of the old shoe polish on the trims and the red strips fitted I think it looks a lot better.

IMG_0002.JPG?v=0&p=41&x=1&a=BcUkl%2BP8O7​

Weser

I think I have all those rover bits in my shed somewhere as I planned to go down that route with my td - but sold it before I started. Looking forward to seeing this progress!

Robbiedundy

Also looking forward to progress on this, I'd like more power out of my stdt too. Your pics aren't working anymore btw, did you move them in photo bucket or something?

Edited by Dundy53