• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Richie-Van-GTi

Oil Restrictor For Solid Lifter Conversion?

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive been converting a set of j4rs lifters to solids. Ive got all the inserts made to replace the piston and read somewhere that there is a restrictor that can be fit into the head to stop oil still pumping through the lifters, can anyone shed light on this?

Other option was to pop the buckets in a lathe and carefully run a groove through the oil tunnel inside so the lifter cant pressurise with oil behind the solid conversion. (assuming I can find a tool that will get in)

petert

These are what I make for the XU9J4/XU10J4 head. It's the same physical size as the original plastic one-way valve restrictors but has only a 2mm hole (maybe 1.5mm looking at my pic). Some oil still needs to make its way through to lubricate the cam lobes and bucket bores. Note the M6 thread in the back facilitate installation and removal.

post-2864-0-81843500-1475396114_thumb.jpg

Edited by petert
  • Like 1

Richie-Van-GTi

Do you sell these Peter? Also did you get my last message re timing? Thanks

Andy

Err. I have solid lifters and no sign of any oil restrictor, plastic or otherwise in the head. Advice please?

Andy

petert

If you remove the two bungs in the side of the head (cambelt end) you should find some restrictors in there. Use some heat, else risk rounding the holes.

Yes, I can make some.

Edited by petert

Andy

Thank you. I will have a look today and report back .

Andy

Andy

Threaded plugs at cambelt end removed. Behind them are spring loaded ball valves ( one way) . It looks as if access to these is via the blanking plugs at the other end of the head( flywheel end) The is no clear diagram of this in the Haynes manual unfortunately and no mention of said valves .

I am a little wary of removing the small blanking plugs before knowing what I am getting in to , but clearly cleaning out all the oilways prior to rebuild will necessitate their removal. Any further advice offered will be gratefully received.

Andy

welshpug

Do you sell these Peter? Also did you get my last message re timing? Thanks

are you on the later heads ?

petert

The one way valves are OEM to stop oil draining back from the hydraulic lifters. Wind a long M6 bolt into the plastic body and withdraw it from the head. Like the one in my picture.

The blanking plugs on the other end can only be removed after you withdraw the one way valves. Use a long length of 6mm steel rod to tap out the blanks from the cam belt end. Only then can you successively clean the oil galleries and head with confidence.

I use Loctite 620 on the blanking plugs and Loctite 549 on the threaded restrictor plugs.

Andy

Thank you. You are very generous with your time and advice.

Andy

Andy

Oh, by the way Peter, PM sent re the wedge plate.

Andy

Richie-Van-GTi

@ Welshpug, no idea on the age of the engine / head and not sure how to tell. Cannot find anything obvious on head to help identify. If you know an obvious difference I can check. Head is here but the rest is in the car in a storage unit.

@PeterT, thanks for the advice, will remove these over the next weekend if I get time, desperatley need to measure the valve lift anyway and get the lifters finished. Good excuse not to do uni work again :P

Will PM re the restrictors.

welshpug

is it an mi16 head.

welshpug

you need a different restrictor than Peter has shown.

petert

you need a different restrictor than Peter has shown.

why?

Type-R

Can I ask here what is the best way to improve Mi16 cylinder head drainage without using an external drain?

Does it still matter when running solids, a restrictor, and oil sprays on both cams?

petert

Fit a dry sump.

Type-R

When I say best I don't actually mean best best :ph34r: , more cheap and good enough :D

Mi16 heads have loads of cavities cast in and I was wanting to reduce the oil retaining tendencies it has.

Specifically I was thinking of machining channels and holes that would help oil get to the existing drains.

If it's not possible I will go with external drains as it's a proven solution.

petert

The head is a bucket. Accept the fact it holds at least 1L up there and put more in the sump. If you've got a deep, double trap door sump, windage tray and an accumulator, for a total of approx 9L, there's really nothing else you can do other than dry sump.

MGMidget20

I note that the 16v head requires an oil restrictor fitted can someone please advise diameter of hole in restrictor.

This is a XY7 head and confirm that the restrictor replaces the plastic filter at the flywheel end of the head

Thanks in advance

welshpug
2 hours ago, MGMidget20 said:

I note that the 16v head requires an oil restrictor fitted can someone please advise diameter of hole in restrictor.

This is a XY7 head and confirm that the restrictor replaces the plastic filter at the flywheel end of the head

Thanks in advance

this is a thread and subforum for XU engines !

MGMidget20

miss type xu7 engine sorry

welshpug

there is no oil feed on the flywheel end.

petert

You need a Ø2.0mm hole.