• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blandy

Clutch Fault

blandy

Thought i start a new thread regarding this as im sure theres a very simple error here so may come of use if the future for others..

any idea on where I'm going wrong I've installed the new gearbox today and once on the clutch does nothing with the cable connected I can manually move the sector arm backwards and forwards with no effort so the clutch pedal just sits on the floor,

Pulled the box off again to inspect and release bearing was on ok

The car is gti6 engine - mi16 clutch was previously running the xsara box that came off a 205 and has been running faultlessly, I picked up a be3 which was living in dixons old 306 race car. It came without a fork/shaft etc. So purchased the kit higher up the thread. Fitted that and then the box onto the car using the existing release bearing I have been running.

Physically I can see no differences with it. The arm moves freely etc (has a bit of play in these white bushes that I'm not 100% happy with but don't believe that would cause the issue I have) But when on the car with the cable all as before it flops about where it should be tight so doesn't hold the clutch pedal up. I literally can't work it out.

https://youtu.be/1RVChuq6peg

as you can see the arm is like nothing is attached so the pedal sits on the floor.

welshpug

you haven't touched the clutch at all?

blandy

no clutch is untouched.

its so strange that there is that much movement on the arm i.e the full travel.

Its a be 3 box but there couldn't be something silly like the housing is deeper or anything so therefore explain the movement.

Trying to rack my brains as the only thing i do know is the box came off that race car which was heavily modified so would of been running a uprated clutch.

The mounting point had been altered slightly for the mount which was simply a plate from the original point to around 5cm to the left. Also the gear lever was extended up a little.

I assumed the above was more to do with they probably reangled the engine etc but beginning to wonder

dobboy

Are there not two types of shaft available, with two different types of fingers?

I remember WP put up lots of pics/info on the forks/bushes/bearings etc on a thread I started about what has to be done to fit a VTS box, might be worth a squint at, in case you have crossed parts or something.

• Like 1

blandy

I had a new fork and bushes etc in a kit so bushes and fork match. As the new box came without it. Again they look physically the same although i did not actually measure but i would expect them to be wildly different to see the fault im seeing.

This is the kit i fitted

https://www.ebay.co....tm/181213138838

blandy

The more i think of it the only logical explanation i can think of is if the bell housing was deeper on the new box which would explain the issue i have.

The box is stamped Be3 as i looked at that and again visually looks the same - are the any cars that would of used a deeper housing or am i completely barking up the wrong tree? Ill have a measure tonight when with the car

allye

When comparing he shafts did you compare where the roll pins goes through not just the Fingers?

blandy

No i didn't pay any special attention but fairly sure its the same as it drives through from the front of the box (stood in front of car) and goes through towards the rear of the car so if any different its not wildly different like 90deg out or anything

dobboy

Do you want me to measure from side of engine block to centre of clutch bracket on mine?

blandy

Thanks i do have my gearbox that was working ok so can measure that one but thanks for the offer much appreciated

dobboy

So how do your two compare?

Had a quick squint at mine from end of box to centre of shaft and it's somewhere between 70 and 80mm, I think it's probably 75mm.

blandy

Just done it and no difference between the 2 gearboxes so that rules out that theory.

Also to confirm clutch arms are the same and on hole is in the same place etc

dobboy

A mystery.

Worth trying the new arm in old box?

Maybe the fingers of the new shaft are in wrong place?

blandy

The old arm is sized onto the box - works perfectly just immovable which is why I had to buy a new kit rather than rob it. It's got to come off again. So only thing I can think to do is go over the fork etc with the verniers to actually measure rather than by eye as if the new fork is shorter etc it would have more travel.

Although with the box on shouldn't there be virtually no travel (without using force I.e pressing clutch)

I'm almost confident it's got to be something really silly

dobboy

I can't remember if there is travel or not.

I think I'd be trying to get the old shaft out, even if it means butchering the cable bracket.

If I was betting my money would be on the fingers welded on at the wrong place with respect to the hole for the cable bracket roll pin, i can't see how it could be anything else.

If you look/zoom at the pic of my new shaft, you'll see the hole for the roll pin seems to run the same direction as the fingers.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=160958&page=1

blandy

Well to update I've dropped the box back off and done some measuring.

The clutch fork is 10mm shorter than the one in my working box so guess that explains etc.

Going to try and remove the shaft/fork from my working box but the arm is sized solid so More fun to come

blandy

Well box is back on and now working lol visually couldn't see anything but measuring the fork was quite a difference. I did also notice my old shaft is marked with a j but has always been on "white" bushes. I've installed as was working ok on last box but will be coming back apart of the winter so will fit new bushes then as got a trackday in couple of weeks so wanted to get sorted today

welshpug

your j marked fork should definitely be on yellow bushes, the bearing wont last long with the fork pushing off centre.

differences between the forks is about 5mm iirc, not the 10mm you've seen from the aftermarket fork

Edited by welshpug

blandy

Yeah I was pretty sure j should of been on yellow bushes but it's been ok up until now and only needs to do one Trackday before the engine comes out for Cambelt etc so wil replace to the correct yellow Ones then.

Well I say 10mm different but was closer to 9mm from the tip of the fork to the edge of the shaft using digital vernier so pretty accurate. At least everything makes sense again no

I think the moral of the story is Definitely don't buy the kit from eBay

Edited by blandy