• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Andy

Inlet Manifold For 1.9 Mi16 Suitable For Jenvey Bodies

Andy

Having just acquired an mi16 1,9 engine I am about to pull it apart in preparation for a rebuild. All the bits are present with a the possible exception of the thermostat housing. My real query centres on the inlet. I plan to use the brand new set of Jenvey bodies I have sitting on my bench ( it would be rude to do otherwise) Ideally I would like to finish them off with an airbox and filter ( less fun I know but much quieter) . With this in mind, what advice can all you knowledgeable people offer on the subject of a suitable inlet manifold. Be gentle with me,; I am a newbie having just spent the last ten years with Integrales and the 15 before that with flat four Alfasuds so I have a lot to learn about the Xu9j / Xu10j engines.

Oh, one more thing. I have the standard engine mounting bracket and am using an electric power steering pump so do not have any obstruction with the engine driven one; the only thing the crank pulley is driving is the alternator so I hope that throttle body clearance will not be a difficulty. Certainly on my 8v a little work with a file and drill on the alternator mounting bracket was all that was required.

Andy

welshpug

get in touch with satchell engineering, they do a very good dcoe pattern inlet for the 16v xu engines, much improved torque and power over the off the shelf jenvey inlet, also fits in the engine bay better.

no idea about the airbox, noise isn't an issue unless you're booting it everywhere.

Miles

Yes the inlet's are like this

DSC04647_zps0zifyylp.jpg

the std Jenvey one

DSC01286_zpsuyhzzkrs.jpg

If using bodies I would look at the 4-2-1 exhaust manifolds, these give around a 10bhp gain over the std version when on Bodies from past experience, in my shop link

When fitting bodies on the jenvey inlet you need to grind some of the top mount off, but on the custom ones there is no need for anything

• Like 1

Andy

Thank you. That is extremely helpful. The upside down installation of the bodies is an interesting twist.

Andy

Sandy

Several reasons for doing that, the benefits certainly outweigh the slight inconvenience of access to the throttle stop screw.

• Like 1

Andy

Morning,

I contacted Satchell engineering to enquire about said manifold. They very helpfully replied with a photograph and a picture, along with the cost , both for modification of an o.e inlet and outright purchase as I do not have one to modify. My only hesitation, and I do appreciate the aerodynamic advantages of his design, is that I am quite keen to use an airbox and filter. The Satchell inlet will make that more difficult( but not impossible I hope) even if I need to modify / delete the slam panel. Ultimately, what I am after with this engine is one that will produce plenty of torque at medium revs so that the car is drivable without having its neck rung . For the bottom end, standard Pistons with c.r of 10.5 :1, full balance is planned. ( I have the engine stripped and am in the process of cleaning it prior to measurement). For the head, still in discussion with Petert over this one as the engine has come with solid lifters and his cams.

Andy

P.s Thanks for the contact advice to Satchell. They were very helpful

Sandy

They can alter the angle of the bodies to lower the end of the trumpets and make more room for a filter/airbox, but it will impact the performance. A side single inlet airbox (if that's what you're thinking) will take a chunk out of the mid range, without spending a huge amount of time and effort on testing to mitigate the effects in most cases too. It's not uncommon for 10bhp to be lost across the usable band, not because of flow capacity, but the effects on pulse tuning of enclosing the trumpet mouths. You have to weigh up what's most important to you.

Andy

Thank you for your most helpful reply. More stuff I need to think about. Clearly filters will work with the Satchell manifold which is a half way house.What I am keen to avoid is too much noise. I know that lots of people really love the induction noise made by a set of carbs or bodies and I do too, but only in the right context. In a Tesco car park, subtlety is important !!!

Andy

P.S I know that from all your experience of building and tuning these engines you know exactly what does and doesn't work. How the pulse tuning works theoretically in such a short manifold is interesting, as given my crude calculation, at 6000 rpm, an inlet length of around 50cm would be needed to get resonance on the third harmonic ( I.e. 3/4 of a wavelength ) for a similar reason, exhaust primary lengths of less than about 40cm will not give any meaningful pulse scavenge effect , which is presumably why your long 4 -1 exhaust works so well as it allows pulse scavenge at well below 6000 on the 1st harmonic and with the third and 5th, even lower down.

Anyway, airbox = loss of mid range torque, exactly want I do not want,so the airbox plan will probably bite the dust.

Thanks again for your reply to me.