• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Chip1

1.9 Won't Start

Chip1

Help needed please! Not getting the usual 'hum' from under car when turning ignition on. (From fuel pump?) . Consequently won't start. It's a 1988 model. ????

toolie72

Pumps under back seat-under the black disc is a connector-check it for power

If power but no pump it's pump

If no power check fuel relay (be under the gauges on bulkhead probably)(you could give it a tap)

Chip1

Thanks mate. As it has no rear seats, access is easy ????

Chip1

Ok. Have pinpointed that the pump doesn't prime when ignition turned on, but does have power as you can hear it when engine doesn't turn over properly (as battery is low at mo). I think its sucking fuel back into tank as designed ,if engine doesn't fire.

So guessing that the element of the relay which tells the pump to prime is faulty...?

Long winded I know:)

steve@cornwall

They don't prime every time. I guess it's dependent on fuel pressure retained but don't know for sure. First checks I would make for non starter are wether it has spark, whether fuel is supplied to rail and if so are injectors firing.

Chip1

Do you think non priming would cause it not to start? Or would the engine pull the fuel through eventually?

Anthony

As above, it's common for them not to prime or to only prime intermittently, but it shouldn't matter providing that the pump runs when the engine is cranking/running.

There should be reasonable pressure retained anyway so that the engine will start after a second or so on the starter, but worse case fuel will be delivered after a few seconds cranking.

gsidave

Please check the earth point behind the nearside rear lamp. That's caused me no end of grief

Chip1

All looks good, pins look clean etc..

Chip1

Ok, there is no spark. Any ideas please?

welshpug

check the pins in the plug from the dizzy fly lead to the loom which follows on to the ignition amplifier.

check for 12v+ at the coil on the red wire.

Chip1

Thanks mate, I've just got in running after 3 weeks! There was a loose connection to the amplifier. Even though it looked and felt OK, the connector had become loose within the plastic cover.????