• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

forbeslongden

Sunroof Jammed Shut.

forbeslongden

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did search but I couldn't find specifically my issue - I've got three GTi 205's that have suffered with the same fate, the sunroof appears to be sealed shut, when releasing the lever there's no 'hiss' like I used to get from one of the cars. Do the vacuum boxes themselves go wrong or has something likely worked loose?

The other GTi I bought earlier in the year and the one from a few weeks ago came to me without working sunroofs and they've been sat for years so I'm not sure if that is a factor at all. They really are jammed shut tight though... The levers don't feel loose on any of the cars and 'snap back' when closing like I've experienced with working ones before.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

It's a very simple system really, so diagnosing it shouldn't be too hard.

1. There's a vacuum feed that comes from near the brake servo that goes via a one-way valve to the vacuum reservoir box under the scuttle panel and to the sunroof handle valve.

2. There's the vacuum valve that the sunroof handle operates, which exposes the sunroof seal to vacuum and causes it to collapse in, thus unsealing the sunroof.

3. The sunroof handle also operates a couple of mechanical locking pins that are to the rear of the sunroof, attached by cables.

Check each part of that is working as it should and fix whatever isn't :)

barneys66

When I first got mine the seal was stuck to the glass due to lack of use; the vacuum was trying to pull it down but couldn't!

Some gentle prising freed it off and worked fine thereafter.

forbeslongden

Ideal. Thanks for the advice gents. I'll have a mess about with the components and see if I can free them up and check if anything is broken.

boldy205

Could very simply be a vac hose fallen off!

forbeslongden

Right, so I've taken the scuttle out and taken the box out, made sure the rubber hose was connected again properly, traced it to the valve with the T junction then the off hose goes into the body and up to the sunroof, I've removed the internal light / map light and removed the plastics on the roof to find the rubber hoses are still nicely connected and and the handle still has the metal wire connected as it should... I'm so confused now, I would have put money on it being a vacuum problem since it doesn't even hiss.

should the valve have something connected to the bottom of it or is it correctly for it to be floating about footloose and fancy free next to the brake servo?

barneys66

Mine is loose. Did you check the seal is not welded to the glass - can you pinch it down with your fingers..?

forbeslongden

Yeah sort of, it's awfully tight but there is a little movement there.