• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
parv121

Juddering When Pulling Away /at Slow Speed/1St 2Nd Gear

parv121

hi,

can anyone point me in the right direction.

205 cti 1.6 xu5j

1/ when i pull away or driving very slow in 1st or 2nd i get a very annoying judder now and again. make you go back and forwards in ur seat. if feel i have to make extra effort with the speed and smoothness of my gear change to stop it happening. But it's not just when i change gear, its also when i go to speed up in 1st or 2nd gear. if you holding a cup of tea it would be everywhere. but when i spedding from 3rd gear onwards and foot to the floor there is no problem. it really ruins the ride.

2/ also when i and driving if i take and foot completly off the gas pedal it not has smooth as id think, its like a fuel cut off and then if i hit the gas after coasting again it a bit heavy/rough, like wholup! not like a smooth pick up, just straight in!.... is this how all 205's are?

can my first problem be the clutch?

anyhelp would be appreciated greatly

Gaz205

I'm no expert on the 205 clutch/box but on previous cars from fords to bmw diesels a judder when pulling off was usually a clutch or in their case a dual mass flywheel. Certainly sounds like a good guess at a clutch unless the engine is running that poor that it's missing and vibrating the mounts. Can you feel the judder through the clutch pedal?

welshpug

sounds more like what is commonly called "kangarooing" which is caused by poor setup and worn components in the engine management system and engine mountings

parv121

hi,

thanks gareth and mei for taking time to reply.

gareth, nah not any obvious sign of clutch pedal judder .

"kangarooing" yes someone else has told me this. in terms of engine management components do you mean the various sensors involved in the injections systems. ie: temp sensors , pressure sensors etc? most of which connect to the loom in the engine bay.

Mai, do you think i should preform a compression test on each cylinder first before replacing sensors etc?.. i have the compression test kit.

Telf

Parv,

probably overkill to do a compression test!

As mei says - poor setup or a knackered component. Start with the basics - I had similar issues a while ago- tried lots of fancy things- missed the basics. Check your dizzy rotor arm ( I had one burnt through causing kangarooing).

Make sure your spark is good- are your leads/plugs new- again had an issue with a lead that I swore was ok - nope it wasn't - had a tiny hole at the plug end causing the spark to earth onto the engine block.

Is the car idling ok when cold/hot? Are there any other symptoms?

Good luck- Don't go mad initially looking for expensive fixes- basics basics first!

parv121

Hi telf,

Car idles fine. Starts straight away on the turn of the key. Revs high to start for the cold start then drops down for normal idling at about 950-ish rpm. Rev are rock solid on idle and don't bounce. Doesn't stall anytime when idling or driving.

No other symptoms to report to be fair.

Telf

well strangely I've had an issue today, slight misfire, hesitation etc, was:

1 a failed sparkplug (no idea why!)

2 a tiny split appeared on the 90 degree elbow into the TPS/inlet manifold

whilst it ran ok and seemed to be pulling ok with these 2 issues fixed its now much better.

I'd do as I said a full check of all pipes and ignition basics before you check anything else.

Telf

on that if anybody has a 90 elbow from AFM to Inlet for sale and also the larger pipe from the oil filler cap to the elbow please PM me! I would like a pair in good condition - Thanks!