• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johnnyboy666

Xud Rad Fan Fuse/relay - Where Are They?

johnnyboy666

My radiator fans aren't working on my non turbo xud. I've tried jumping the switch and still nothing, so I need to work my way back to the relay and fuse, but I'm not sure where they're located. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

91 xrad

Cheers

Simes

It's all in the shunt box normally dangling near the slam panel battery area.

A completely stand alone loom, with no relay.

johnnyboy666

Is there a fuse for it? I had a look in the two plastic shunt boxes on passenger side of slam panel, but I couldn't figure out what wires are for what

welshpug

there isnt an independent fuse for the fans iirc, its a shared fuse.

most common issue is the earth. have you checked for 12v at the thermoswitch rather than bridging the pins?

johnnyboy666

I haven't tried that yet, I'll give it a go later.

Where's the earth?

Anthony

Where's the earth?

Passenger side headlight panel, same connector block as the headlight itself and prone to the same poor connection woes.

I'm assuming being a diesel that this is the twin fan relay setup? If so, remember that you need the ignition on to test the fans.

johnnyboy666

Righto , I'll give that a bloody good clean then and see if that helps.

Would've thought if it was the earth the fans might still work a little bit?

Yes twin fans, and yeah I tested with the ignition on second click.

barneys66

I had similar problems - cleaned up the block (glass bead blasted), contact cleaner, etc but still intermittent. In the end cut the blocks off and crimped into one ring terminal, and not been a problem since..

johnnyboy666

Had a go at it today, and as suggested the earth block was a right mess! the upper plug was completely covered in green smeg, and the lower one was covered in road smeg. Unbolted it from the shell (which was a daunting task, I was fully expecting a snap) cleaned up both plugs as best I could, cleaned up the crappy metal plate/connector thing, and for good measure, I ran an earth cable from the negative battery post and sandwiched it between the plate and the retaining bolt, plugged back in and bridged the fan switch and hey presto! We have fully working fans on both speeds! I haven't yet been able to test if they come on correctly in traffic etc, but will hopefully do that soon enough, if not i have a spare fan switch already as I initially thought that was the culprit.

Also fitted a small water temp gauge to monitor temps as my poverty spec dash doesn't have one.

Fingers crossed that's solved my issues.

Thanks for the help chaps :)

jackherer

As Barney said the most reliable solution is to cut those multiplugs off and crimp on a ring connector but if you insist on keeping the original plugs at least protect them with something like contralube 770 - http://contralube.com/contralube-770/

johnnyboy666

I will certainly crimp them in the near future as a long term solution when I've got a decent crimper, but this should get me going in the meantime