• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

pugdamo

1.6 Auto Head Same As Gti?

pugdamo

Iv taken the head off my GTI to replace leaking stem seals to find one of the camshaft journals is badly scored, iv got a spare head that came off a car with a failed headgasket and the engine company has said this had has got very hot and may be scrap, I can get my hands on a 1.6 auto engine, are the heads the same? I'm sure cams will be different but does the auto have the larger valves as fitted to the later 1.6 GTI.

Cheers Damian

welshpug

most autos ive seen were spi, so they had the carb head not a gti head.

only non gti engines i know that used the same heads were the xu5jp in the 405, possibly xantia, and the xu9jaz in the zx volcane

pugdamo

Thankyou for the quick reply, yeah this one is single point injection, that will be a no go then.

steve@cornwall

Pretty sure I have a head, will check and If so you can have it.

pugdamo

Sweet, I wanted my car back up and running this weekend but was told today by engine company that the head doesn't look very smart. Thankyou. By the way the diesel is coming on nicely aswell,looking loads better.

pugdamo

Also i had a 1.9 for sale I would've used. but is your red one a 1.9? If so I can give you my 1.9 head in exchange for it if you want.

petert

We have spi 1.6 autos here. The head is identical except for the cam.

pugdamo

OK, I guess the only way to know for sure is pull the inlet off and check the inlet port shape then. Id like to use the auto head as it's only done 40k. Thankyou

pugdamo

Thankyou very much for that, I would have just swapped the cam and re shimmed it, so I'll have a check if the inlet and swap the cam and springs then. Thanks for all the advice.

Edited by pugdamo

steve@cornwall

Red gtt is indeed 1.9, but will go back to being a 1.6 again when I play "musical engines" later on. Will be using the 1.6 from the cti, after cleaning, painting etc when the cti goes 2.0 16v. I do have a worked 1.9 head in the garage that has split the waterways on top due to freezing, could well be welded?? Was running a wild cam which would not run in my 1.9 as valves didn't clear piston crowns! The engine it came off ran standard pistons (no vernier) and ran sweetly so head could well be fitted with double valve springs as recommended for cam (marked 496) if any of this is of any use let me know.

pugdamo

I'll give you a shout if I get stuck, at the minuite he's going to take my 1.9 head which should be fine. I'll get the cam swapped across, shim it up and hopefully all back up and running. Thanks

pug_ham

I've got the head from my mum's old Mardi Gras 1.6 spi auto & when i removed the inlet manifold I was surprised to see the inlet ports were shaped the same as the GTI head.

I'll try to measure the valves tomorrow evening & let you know what I find.

g

pug_ham

I just had a quick look on service box out of interest & the head casting is the same for the XU5JA, XU9JA, XU9JAZ & XU5M which explains why the inlet ports off my mum's engine had the same injection style port shape.

They also share the same valve part numbers for both inlet & exhaust, the exhaust is actually listed as 34.5mm for them all, but so does the listing for the carburetter & XU valves. (0948 87 & 0949 57).

g

pugdamo

OK thankyou for that, so I'll pull the inlet off and if the ports are the same as a GTI which sounds like they might be I just need to swap over the valve springs (as said by petert) and the cam, shim it up and I should be away? Thankyou for everyone's replies, I hope this can help someone else aswell in the future.

pug_ham

Just had a quick measure of the valves, 41mm inlet & 34.5mm exhaust.

g

pugdamo

Thankyou very much for taking the time to double check, hopefully I'll be able to get some time to get a look at that auto engine tomorrow after work, I'm taking it the 41mm and 34.5mm measurements you got today are the same as GTI? That's how I read it anyway.

pug_ham

Yeah, that's the sizes I have in my memory for the GTI but I haven't checked it against a GTI head or Haynes yet.

g

pugdamo

OK, it sounds pretty promising so far then. Thanks