• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JR20516V

1.6 Gti Newbie Questions

JR20516V

Just gained a 205 1.6 UK car which is very rare in this country. It is a 1990 with the B6D motor. There seems to be conflicting info as always by Googling so i thought i would ask here.......here goes.!!

Q1. Is this an XU5JA lump as there seems to be others in the same timeline....XU5s....[171 ] also BDY [xu5m3z ] and XU5M2Z

Q2. How can i tell if it is a 105hp or 115hp motor. [it has LE2 Jetronic with nil o2 sensor ] [dizzy is screw on ]

Q3. My motor requires a rebuild thus i need to know before ordering rebuild parts if all parts are generic across the 1.6 range...things like cambelt, waterpump, tensioners, headgaskets, stem seals etc etc.

Q4. As it will need a head refurbish as well ironically i have a fully refurbed 1.9 DFZ head sitting there...should/could i use that and save some costs. My only concern is that the DFZ head [105hp ] is a much lower compression than my 1.6 and would be detrimental in fitting it?? yes/no?

Q5. Can on still buy the PTS 125hp kit for 1.6 Gti's.... if so....who from ? [This maybe the more bang for buck way to go before starting rebuild ]

Q6. I guess there is no way to tell if i have the original 1.6 ratio box or a transplanted BE3 from anther Pug. [i cant drive it to see the revs at 100kph at the mo due to the stuffed lump ]

Q7. Last but not least....did 1990 1.6's only have electric windows switches on the drivers side?

Sorry for all the Q's!!....any help much appreciated.

petert

DFZ head has nothing compatible with a B6D and will lower the CR to around 7:1 (maybe I'm exaggerating a tad). Fairly sure B6D is 115hp. The 105hp finished much earlier. I think it was the 180A (XU5J).

welshpug

xu5s was carb, xu5m is spi.

1990 will be 115 bhp.

other than rods pistons cam crank and sump the rest is as per same age of 1.9.

no idea what the 125 kit consisted of, but more compression and a cam would be part of it I'd imagine

gearbox not much you can do other than popping the diff cover off and checking the crownwheel

most 1.6's in the uk were windy windows, electric were an option, never seen just one window though.

JR20516V

DFZ head has nothing compatible with a B6D and will lower the CR to around 7:1 (maybe I'm exaggerating a tad). Fairly sure B6D is 115hp. The 105hp finished much earlier. I think it was the 180A (XU5J).

‹ yes, the B6D was deffo 115hp Peter. There were a few threads on here saying that the 1.9 head was virtually the same as the later 1.6's and would swap over thus the reasoning for my question. Yes, i agree it seems strange to swap a 9:8:1 [b6D] to a DFZ 8:4:1 but i had to ask.....sometimes its just not about the numbers ;]

JR20516V

Thx for the reply Mei as always.....................

xu5s was carb, xu5m is spi.

## ahhh i see.... makes sense now.‹

1990 will be 115 bhp.

other than rods pistons cam crank and sump the rest is as per same age of 1.9.

no idea what the 125 kit consisted of, but more compression and a cam would be part of it I'd imagine

########‹ Kit consisted of........
Head
Valv es
Valve springs
Dam
Headbolts
Sparkplugs
Few bitts and pieces

gearbox not much you can do other than popping the diff cover off and checking the crownwheel

##### will do‹

most 1.6's in the uk were windy windows, electric were an option, never seen just one window though.

‹## maybe i have got a non southpaws car ;]

### can you elaborate on Q3 above for me....dont want to order big $$$ of parts from the UK and find they are not correct.

Cheers!!‹

petert

All that you could buy from EAI.

JR20516V

I will try them Peter however i dont think they will have a UK specific car parts supply.

welshpug

not much uk specific on them, number plates probably :D