• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mhyphenl

Fuel Smell In The Car

farmer

Might have that as well not sure

Will fire a price on the thread for transparency on the above item later.

mhyphenl

OK, vented the fuel tank to atmosphere just to make sure a blockage in the system wasn't causing issues, made no difference, there are definately fumes coming out of the vent line but alot more coming out of the filler cap! How gas tight should the filler cap be? How much pressure builds up in a fuel tank and should the vent line be able to deal with it all? It absolutely reeks at the filler cap and that makes sense with it being dragged into the car where the filler pipe meets the outer wing! To see what's normal is anyone willing to drive their car then sniff there filler cap for me :)

Just a note, blowing back down the vent line into the tank is not very easy, I have to blow quite hard and you can hear a faint hiss down the filler pipe!?

farmer

When I filled up a few nights ago no stench of fuel

So obviously a vent issue somewhere

mhyphenl

I think the issue i have had is that valve on my other post was the wrong way round in the line from the tank to the carbon canister, not allowing the ll vapor through! I'm going to pull out the carbon canister and check the electro valve operation (hope that works as its the one you sold me farmer ! :)) If I get flow after the elctro valve i'll put it all back together in the right order and hope that sorts it. I'm hoping that will sort the smell!

mhyphenl

Still no Joy! The smell is definitely coming from the filler cap, it stinks especially after a good drive. Should the cap be sealed on these later models, I would have thought it should if there's piping in place to take the fumes through to the charcoal canister and in to the engine!?. Even on models where the tank just vents through a pipe and non return valve at the rear of the car! If the petrol cap isn't sealed it wouldn't push the fumes through the valve!

I have now fixed the EVP valve and associated piping, I had the non return valve on the wrong way round, der! If I unplug the valve which leaves it open I get flow through to the tank. But this is the point I fear the issue is the petrol cap, I can hear air getting in through the cap!

Anyone up for having a sniff of their petrol cap, especially after a drive?