• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

DC2T

Vin Number

DC2T

Was out prepping my engine bay the other day and noticed while removing rust that most of my vin number has been corroded (top left of bulk head). It still has the metal plaque there and the visible numbers seem to corrospond to whats on the bulk head but im not sure what i should do about it. Should i just sand it back and re-stamp it myself? Another possible problem i have is i dont have the V5 yet as its just a shell and was concerned if i start restamping etc it kind of looks like im trying to ring it. Is there any other body stamps i can check to make sure they are the same so if i wipe it out it can still be traced?

So what should i do ?

welshpug

i wouldn't worry about stamping it again, just treat the rust and paint it.

allye

As long as the plaque is there you'll be fine.

My goodwood was stolen recovered in the past and when I got it just had a sticker for the vin, previous owner must have had friends at the mot centre!

I had to make up a new one out of some steel and a stamp set, was fine from then on.

Weser

Mine started rusting think its pretty common. I sanded it back a bit to get the worse of it off. Then gave it a light dusting of primer and paint to protect it. Came up well and can actually see the number well. You might be surprised. However it does sound like yours is a bit worse than mine as I only had surface rust.

DC2T

Aye mines more than light rust, kind of looks like someones peened it off with a hammer. Ill take it off though and maybe re apply

Thanks for the answers