• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Cleaning Engine Components

Alan_M

Ok, my Mi16 block & crank is now at the hands of my local engine builder for an acid dip, & regrind/polish (depending on wear).

Whilst thats happening, i'm going to clean my inlet manifold/sump etc up before rebuilding everything.

Whats the best stuff to use. Was thinking of buying a load of Gunk from Halfords as i'll need it to do a final clean of the block anyway.

Snowman

The cheapest thing is probably diesel or parafin. Just keep it off your hands.

Although you'll need to make sure it's rinsed off afterwards which could get expensive in brake cleaner.

Never used it on engine parts but 'Jizer' is good and is water soluble so can be rinsed off.

Chris

Miles

As Chris has said loads of Parafin followed by Paint Thinners which is almost as good as brake clean but cheaper, If you do use Gunk use the Foam as it washes off unlike the normal type

Guest James205gti

i personally think that gunk is aload of crap. I used the spray & the foam. Wasnt impressed! :D

Guest mrswampy

aircraft grade degreaser is spot on if you can get it.

the manifold i polished mine up with a flap wheel and polishing mop,cam up nice and shiney and look spot on.

did the same with my cam cover and engine mounts and stuff.

Guest mrswampy

aint got a clue, my dad brings it home fromwork in 5 litre containers as i when i need it.

Guest Al-2

Jizer is pretty good.

One trick that works well outdoors and away from living things is to fil a paint spraying gun with paraffin and blast away with compressed air and a little vapourised paraffin. Wear a good gasmask though.

After you've paraffinned everything clean, lots of hot water and flash will totally degrease it, get al the metal boiling hot and it'll blow dry in seconds with compressed air.

My manifold and head got a coat of red engine paint from Halfords, cracking stuff, sticks fine without priming.

Sign in to follow this