• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

feb

1 Vs 2 Cars

feb

Hi,

I do between 2,000-2,600 miles a month and thought that a "one car does everything" (see returning 40s on motorway runs and be fun when needed) would do the trick but so far it seems not.

Although the 500 is cheap to run and returns early 40s at motorway speeds I can't get on with its ride quality on bumpy roads.

You have to select your roads carefully to have fun with it and can't explore new roads at a brisk pace.

The LSD makes up for its drawbacks but it still misses that special feel a real hot hatch or driver's car gives you.

I understand there are always going to be compromises when running one car to cover both needs so I am thinking of selling the Abarth and going back to a 2-car solution.

Assuming a budget of 12k for both cars (realistically less as I have to put some money aside for things that may need doing) what would you buy as a reliable commuter and a fun car?

I've got some ideas of fun cars e.g. Clio Trophy (although not sure if they need constant tinkering to keep them reliable), mk3 MR2, DC5, 350Z, VX220 (although the last 3 would hardly leave any money to buy a reliable economic commuter car).
Realistically the MR2 is the best proposition (very reasonably priced, value for money and fun).

The problem with the 2-car solution is that the fun car will spend most of its time in the garage (I don't have much time or mood in the weekends to go driving) so that defeats the whole point of owning it. I could drive it to work once a week and take the back roads home though. It also needs to be something that starts on the key and is ready to be driven not something that will be a project (I expect to have to replace/refresh certain things).

Which makes me wonder if I should just buy a 2013 120d M-sport and get done with it.

Although I have never been a fan of BMWs until we bought my wife's one (half hearted for me I must admit and only did so because she wanted it) it has left me pleasantly surprised with the way it drives, its reliability and hasn't needed anything other than maintenance.

Argh, decisions decisions...

P.S. I've just looked at prices of 205s (out of curiosity) and it seems they have gone through the roof! Do people really pay >5k for them nowadays?! I kick myself for selling my sorrento the first time around.

Edited by feb

feb

E91 330d.

What sort of mpg do these return and do they suffer the same thermostat issues as the 5 series ones?

I am sure they are nice to drive but I don't really need such a big engine or one that is so tight in the engine bay (in case work needs to be done it is going to be expensive I reckon).

Edited by feb

welshpug

the 4 cylinder cars arent much easier to work on as the engines are mounted back against the bulkhead, if anything some parts are more tricky!

why do you do so many miles?!

feb

the 4 cylinder cars arent much easier to work on as the engines are mounted back against the bulkhead, if anything some parts are more tricky!

why do you do so many miles?!

I see.

I wish I didn't have to but my wife works in a diagonally opposite area and unless she finds a job in the same area it makes no sense to move to save 20 minutes or so each way.Working from home once a week and staying locally to work once a week it is doable for a little longer.

nveeate

If you choose a weekend car that's holding its value, then the fact it sits in the garage most of the time really doesnt matter. Ok, so there's the extra tax and insurance, but if you get a multicar policy then the insurance isnt much difference, and the tax is equivalent of a few nights drinking. My perspective is based on dong 5k a year spread over 3 cars.

steve@cornwall

I don't have the problem o many commuter miles but I have a 1.2 fiat 500 as main car and have my gti for fun and it also means not having to carry 2 muddy spaniels in the everyday car. The new model 500 has suspension "tweaks" and I find it fun and comfortable, I believe the abarth is due to be relaunched with the newer suspension this year (obviously mine does not have the "sports" set up though). The advantage of the 205 is classic insurance around the 100 pound mark.

Seems you could maybe do with adjustable suspension on the abarth? Make it into 2 cars in one.

aldworth33

Renaultsport megané 175dci? I've driven a couple and they are pretty quick and the Renault sport chassis is great. There's one on pistonheads now 58k miles for £5k

Other than that if I were you I'd keep a keen eye out for 205's as a few decent priced ones do pop up to have as a weekend car but suppose clio sports 172/182 can't really go down in value anymore as they've hit rock bottom so they could be a good option

feb

A weekend car that holds its value is a good idea.

Steve, the Abarth mainly suffers because of its 205/40/17 tyres. I wish I had gone for 16" wheels or fitted 205/45/17 tyres when I had them changed. I can't understand why some manufacturers fit ruber bands for tyres when roads are much worse than they used to be 15 years ago.

It came with KW v3 suspension (both compression and rebound adjustable) which is supposed to be the dog's danglies, it isn't.

I've set the damping as per KW's instructions (medium/softish) and although on smooth roads it's a revelation on bumpy roads it bottoms out (mind you it's set at maximum height) and makes you cringe every time you fall into a pot hole. I've had adjustable suspension before (ASTs in the FSTi) and it just doesn't work for me. You end up adjusting it for the roads you drive mostly anyway so adjustability becomes redundant and the adjusters tend to seize after a while.Talking to

A friend who is a suspension guru has found a way to open the KWs and remove some spacers they have inside gaining a few cms of travel, maybe that's what I should try before getting rid of it but it means I will be without a car for a couple of weeks at least (he is in Germany).

I've thought about the 175 dci Megane but after talking to a few owners I wouldn't touch the R26, they are full of problems although they are great cars to drive out of the box.

Edited by feb

Rob_the_Sparky

As you know I use the 2 (+) car policy and I think what you buy depends on what you need your daily hack to do. The other car can then be quite extreme (depending on budget) as you don't need it to be practical. As I now have kids to transport my hack has to be capable of taking 2 kids + clobber but if the commuter is just you then you could consider an MX5? Super reliable and not too boring. Probably the most practical would be a diesel hatch.

You can then go a bit silly with the other car, budget being the limit. There are plenty of older cars out there that will not loose any value and may even gain value while in storage, 205 included it seems (no I hadn't looked at the market recently either and was pleasantly surprised). My occasional car is truly silly but V8 TVR prices have really gone up recently so not sure I could recommend one on that budget, you could get a 4L Chimaera in budget but it would need work or your whole budget.

Alan_M

Why not consider a cheap 306diseasal for the commute.....leaves you a load of dosh for a stupidly thirsty car at the weekend!

Edited by Alan_M

feb

Why not consider a cheap 306diseasal for the commute.....leaves you a load of dosh for a stupidly thirsty car at the weekend!

Sounds good but finding one that is relatively OK without having to spend ££££ on it could be tricky?

I used to have a 1.9 TD ZX that was perfect and reliable!

feb

As you know I use the 2 (+) car policy and I think what you buy depends on what you need your daily hack to do. The other car can then be quite extreme (depending on budget) as you don't need it to be practical. As I now have kids to transport my hack has to be capable of taking 2 kids + clobber but if the commuter is just you then you could consider an MX5? Super reliable and not too boring. Probably the most practical would be a diesel hatch.

You can then go a bit silly with the other car, budget being the limit. There are plenty of older cars out there that will not loose any value and may even gain value while in storage, 205 included it seems (no I hadn't looked at the market recently either and was pleasantly surprised). My occasional car is truly silly but V8 TVR prices have really gone up recently so not sure I could recommend one on that budget, you could get a 4L Chimaera in budget but it would need work or your whole budget.

Don't need the space right now, no. May have to drive a later MX-5 although the mk3 one I test drove a while ago left me cold (see slow).

Might have to hold on to the Abarth a little longer in case we move closer to work and then get a silly car that I can use daily.

Edited by feb

Anthony

Sounds good but finding one that is relatively OK without having to spend ££££ on it could be tricky?

They're certainly out there - mine cost me just £420 with a newish MOT and has done another 50k miles in my ownership without anything more than consumables and servicing.

Previous one ran past 250k miles before I bid it farewell and in the time that I had it that hadn't needed too much either beyond servicing/consumables considering - beam rebuild, bit of welding and a steering rack. I think half the body panels live on with Alan :lol:

There are some tired neglected cars out there though unquestionably.

Stu

I'd second a 306, i've ran my DTurbo for around 8 years and 80k miles and other than the usual 306 niggles (wishbones, droplinks) its been nothing but 110% reliable. Just means the 205 sits in the garage more often that i'd like..

My 306 will be up for sale soon if you're interested, got a lease hire car coming in the next few months ;)

Alan_M

They're certainly out there - mine cost me just £420 with a newish MOT and has done another 50k miles in my ownership without anything more than consumables and servicing.

Previous one ran past 250k miles before I bid it farewell and in the time that I had it that hadn't needed too much either beyond servicing/consumables considering - beam rebuild, bit of welding and a steering rack. I think half the body panels live on with Alan :lol:

There are some tired neglected cars out there though unquestionably.

Body panels aren't on yet......still owe you for those too!

Think a bigger yet softer 205 and you're there with a 306. Offers a pretty good drive, parts are still cheap and plentiful. I've covered 20k in the past year in mine (trips to Liverpool) and it's just got on with it. Still returned high 40s to the gallon even at 90 leptons for most of the recent run up. They really are great little cars.

Get a late HDi and you'll save on tax too. Avoid Diablo Red though (unless you like lacquer peel).

mowflow

120d's aren't fun. I had a 125d tuned to 270bhp and 550nm and a 330d. They were both very quick but not fun.

If I went down the 2 car route again (my non running 205 doesn't count as a second car) I'd spend my whole budget on something as special and far removed from a normal daily driver as possible and look at the cheapest possible lease car for the daily as totally hassle free, known cost motoring.

Alternatively a Fiesta ST might offer a bit more refinement and as much if not more fun the Abarth.