• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Inner Wing Rot- Advice Please

Telf

Have discovered some rot on both left and right sides of the wheel arch/inner wing.

I really cant decide what to do about it - Cant really afford to cut it all out - but need the car for work - does anybody have any suggestions?

post-21474-0-09639600-1457256955_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-61927800-1457256964_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Telf

Another pic. I'm thinking I shall have to just chuck rust remedy over it and cover in the short term- but non of the rust treatments really seem to work!

post-21474-0-37854300-1457257022_thumb.jpg

Telf

The offside is by far the worst - with the bonnet open the seal between the edge of the plate where the jack goes and the inner wing is crunchy - if I pushed it would definitely produce a hole.

I'm wondering if the panel is still available to buy o does anybody on the forums fabricate replacements?

farmer

Won't get any panels mate

But a bloke is making them

welshpug

as the rot hasn't gone particularly far it'll be easy to make repair sections for it.

Tom Fenton has done similar repair on one or two of his you might find some pictures.

Telf

Thanks guys

A few more pics after a root around with a hammer and a screw driver - thought I might as well see how bad it is

Nearside:

and offside - hasn't reached the splash panel either side as far as I can tell:

post-21474-0-38365500-1457268339_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-83651000-1457268387_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-77526100-1457268395_thumb.jpg

Telf

now I've been to the bodyshop I usually use, they are saying wings off, cut out and weld in/ make good - somewhere in the region of £500. Does this seem a little steep?

Having made the damage more visible I'm going to drive the car back round and see what they say.

acox99

That can be repaired with the wings on. 205 wings are not easy to remove without damaging them.

PaulJW

Sorry to jump in but my car is in a similar condition, maybe not quite so bad, I'm looking to get the work done by a garage, what sort of quotes should i expect? also, once a piece is welded in is it standard for it to be linished off both sides so its impossible to tell?

Thanks, Paul.

Pugleyrich

For those looking at quotes, I had similar condition inner wings on mine. I had the wings taken off and it all fixed, with headlight panel also being rubbed back and painted, cracks above rear windows fixed, rear beam off and hole under rear seats fixed, windscreen out and hole in A pillar fixed, 2 holes in boot floor done and a patch on the sill. It all cost £800 and the quality of work is fantastic. Id say £500 is a bit steep

Edited by Pugleyrich

timoth123

What Craig said theres a Dutch lad making them not had anything off him so don't know what he's like but they look decent panels

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/291701144729?roken=cUgayN&_mwBanner=1

Ive had a few bits from him now. And everything is very well made! Mostly cti hood parts and some bumper mount kits. Powder coating on them seems good also.

Ordered a pas side inner wing, just waiting for it to turn up!

Telf

im thinking I wont replace the entire panel but just cut out and weld in - trying to keep as much original as possible

• Like 1

Telf

Its starting to get me down now! ive discovered more rot- the corners of the wind screen are rotten. Anybody dealt with this before?

ARGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Telf

These pictures are all taken using a video probe pushed up into the corner of the windscreen from the passenger footwell

Rotten!

post-21474-0-82956500-1458150758_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-73930900-1458150767_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-33424800-1458150778_thumb.jpg

Telf

So I'm wondering if I can get access to repair this by removing the wings - Ive arrowed the area I think it is - although the damage might be directly below the scuttle panel

Any thoughts appreciated

I borrowed the pic of another post linked earlier- this isn't my car

post-21474-0-01613000-1458150932_thumb.jpg

Edited by Telf

Telf

This is the rusty so and so - you wouldn't tell really - maybe I should sell it!

post-21474-0-10159300-1458151432_thumb.jpg

Slo

Your welcome. I dont understand how you are seeing white paint inside a red car.

You wont be able to see into the arrowed area from inside the car its completely sealed off, if you could push a probe into there from inside the car you would have some serious corrosion.

Your car looks nice dont lose heart cos you found a little rust its easily taken care of.

Telf

Yeah thanks Slo- borrowed from your post!

Its just the white primer- the pictures are right up under the pillars at the corner of the windscreen- if you look up with a torch you cant see anything- I'm not sure how to get access to that area or what part of the outer skin of the car it is/where I should be looking.

Initial thought was its at the corner of the area under the scuttle panel - had a root around and seems ok.

Maybe I need to take the dash out - not a job I fancy as I've never done it before anybody else seen corrosion in this area?

Telf

Juttie, I've borrowed a shot from your resto post to illustrate my problem- hope you don't mind

So the rot appears to be behind the angle section right in the corner of the screen - I've marked it with an arrow

post-21474-0-04028500-1458157102_thumb.jpg

Slo

Get the scuttle panel out and have a good look, dash removal is pretty simple but its fragile in places especially the surround. if you have rot under the winscreen seal you need to remove it and the dash to take care of it

toolie72

Love the number plate!! But on a serious note-if you look hard enough you're gonna find rust somewhere on any car-be thankful its not a ford! Fix the inner wings, drive it, love it, fall out with it, love it again, fall out again-I've had my car 20 years and use it everyday (everyday its working that is)

My weapon of choice used to be dinitrol but I'm sure there's better stuff now-whatever-clart it to stop it getting worse